Corn FREE Feed and Soy FREE Feed (STARTER?)

@BrittsBantams

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow we're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

You're in a good place to start your search. I would reach out to Fertrell and ask who near you sells the types of feeds you're looking for. Likely, they'll know who they are.

I was able to try Green Mountain soy free layer pellets a few years ago when the owner Eric, kindly sent me several bags. Although he does say that chickens lay less on No soy feed, I did not find that to be the case. Green Mountain no soy has fishmeal in it, which I loved. I sure wish I could buy that around here, but Gettysburg Agway was as close as I could find for a dealer. It is very good feed & my girls loved it!

I was able to try Green Mountain soy free layer pellets a few years ago when the owner Eric, kindly sent me several bags. Although he does say that chickens lay less on No soy feed, I did not find that to be the case. Green Mountain no soy has fishmeal in it, which I loved. I sure wish I could buy that around here, but Gettysburg Agway was as close as I could find for a dealer. It is very good feed & my girls loved it!
my girls laid like crazy while on the GM soy free last winter, but tailed off during the summer with fermented soy mash. I’m giving them the dry soy free pellets on the side now to get them used to the taste again. I tried switching to fermented soy free feed and they weren’t having that. It looks a lot darker than the chick starter and has a different smell after fermenting.

Makes no sense to me. Corn and soy were created in the same time frame as chickens.

What is one supposed to feed their poultry then, non-chicken chicken feed?
I'v got it, cow, hog, sheep, goat, horse, and K9 feces. At least the chickens will eat it as readily (or maybe more so) as they will chow down on shelled corn or pellets. Plus it is all natural.

my girls laid like crazy while on the GM soy free last winter, but tailed off during the summer with fermented soy mash. I’m giving them the dry soy free pellets on the side now to get them used to the taste again. I tried switching to fermented soy free feed and they weren’t having that. It looks a lot darker than the chick starter and has a different smell after fermenting.

Our girls are on organic seeds with no suy and are laying beautifully, they do have corn and extra treats but no soy

Just responding to the OP @BrittsBantams - Ranchway has a no corn no soy starter for layers: http://www.ranch-way.com/products/organic-feed/no-corn-no-soy-organic-start-n-grow

This is definitely an area I need to educate myself in. When buying by last bag of organic regular layer pellets, the cashier asked if I wanted no soy or no soy/corn. I wasn't sure and asked her why some people prefer no soy and no corn, and she couldn't tell me. :confused:

you will read that most soy in the U.S. is genetically modified - it is also a source of estrogen - and since we are what we eat, eating animals/products that are fed high levels of soy affects us as well

you will read that most soy in the U.S. is genetically modified - it is also a source of estrogen - and since we are what we eat, eating animals/products that are fed high levels of soy affects us as well

Thanks - if the feed (soybean) is organic, is it safe to say it is also Non-GMO?

And I think the myth about soy estrogen being dangerous has been busted. I remember being worried and then doing a lot of research and then not being worried... because I eat a lot of [organic] soy. :)

Thanks - if the feed (soybean) is organic, is it safe to say it is also Non-GMO?

And I think the myth about soy estrogen being dangerous has been busted. I remember being worried and then doing a lot of research and then not being worried... because I eat a lot of [organic] soy. :)
In order to be certified organic it must be non-gmo. The biggest issue I see with soy is how it's processed. No matter how good the process, chemically processed soy leave trace amounts of chemicals that I don't want in my feed. This is why I prefer cracking whole roasted soy (also whole lasts longer at the mill). Expeller processed is fine but has a really short shelf life and of course some are whole fat, while others are no fat and probably every variation in between.

Sadly, the research I've read, including Dr. Dodd's book https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ca...MIk8mv19iC2AIVRBobCh3CNAd8EAQYASABEgJ-__D_BwE have found serious issues with soy and the thyroid and effects on the body. this is a great read for anyone interested in how food affects us at the most basic cellular level and how soy is affecting this generation of human children through food

my preference is always to try and find out where the grains in a food are grown and how - organic should mean non-gmo but doesn't always

Back
Top Bottom