Corn spill

TheResidentialFarm

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2017
Some farmers use our driveway (which turns into a field road past our property) to access their fields. Today my husband went home for lunch and saw that the farmers has spilled a large amount (estimated several hundred pounds) of feed corn on the edge of our property where the chickens free range. He didn't have time to clean up that much corn before going back to work. We'll tackle it tonight (in the dark....) or keep the birds locked in their run tomorrow until it's handled.

Other than a drop in egg production from the hens feasting on corn all afternoon, are there any health concerns we should prepare for?

I was thinking I might add poultry booster or nutridrench to their rations for a couple days to even out the vitamin/minerals. They're normally on a 22% Kent feed, both dry and fermented available at all times.

Hmmmm I wouldn’t say pesticide free. It was crop dusted multiple times. But we shoveled up the corn and the birds are alive, so I guess we’ll see what egg counts are like for the next few days.

I cant see there being much of a egg drop, if your chickens are free ranging there already depleting a lot of there of there nutrition just by simply eating grass.

Ah well. We may have to agree to disagree on that front. While the grass does dilute their overall protein intake (accounted for by feeding a high protein crumble and giving high protein treats), the phytonutrients in grass and other forage are beneficial in their diet. My concern with the corn is that they might OD on a certain nutrient....kind of like when a horse gets sick from getting into the grain bin

Ah well. We may have to agree to disagree on that front. While the grass does dilute their overall protein intake (accounted for by feeding a high protein crumble and giving high protein treats), the phytonutrients in grass and other forage are beneficial in their diet. My concern with the corn is that they might OD on a certain nutrient....kind of like when a horse gets sick from getting into the grain bin

Yes, horses can get Colic and Lamintis from eating to much grain but poultry are totally different.

It is highly unlikely that chickens will OD on the nutrients in corn, reason being is that chickens will stop eating when there caloric need is meet.
Remember chickens eat to fill a caloric need not a hunger need.

Ah well. We may have to agree to disagree on that front.

Agreed. Also, free range chickens get a lot of animal protein. I stood for about 1/2 hour and watched my birds work over a sheet compost area. Nellie was scarfing down insects and worms just as fast as she could. Many of those worms were the big fat night crawler variety. Of course, the rest of the flock was doing the same, but Nellie chooses to be near me when ever I am out working in the yard.

IMO, appropriate free range range provides superior nutrition to any thing that comes from a feed store. When my birds are free ranging, their bagged feed remains pretty much untouched. After several hours out working my yard, every single bird had crops that were noticeably stuffed.

Yes we can agree to disagree.

Now I'm well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of free ranging poultry, and yes there are pros and cons to free ranging poultry in a nutritional scene.
To say that free ranging poultry provides superior nutrition over anything from a mill would be somewhat untrue when you consider that a good bagged feed is a complete feed and is well balanced for there needs where free ranging is hit and miss when considering the environment in which the fowl is being raised in.

As for the nightcrawlers that your birds were eating, there a supply of animal proteins that is ± 10% protein with a fair amount of other nutrition.

Table 1. Nutrient content of earthworms (Lumbricus terrestris) (Finke, 2002)

Nutrient
Content
Metabolizable Energy, Kcal/kg 708
Moisture, % 83.6
Crude protein, % 10.5
Arginine, % 0.61
Methionine, % 0.19
Lysine, % 0.66
Threonine 0.47
Tryptophan, % 0.09
Fat, % 1.6
Ash, % 0.6
Calcium, mg/kg 444
Phosphorus, mg/kg 1590
Magnesium, mg/kg 136
Sodium, mg/kg 965
Potassium, mg/kg 1820
Chloride, mg/kg 910
Iron, mg/kg 50.4
Zinc, mg/kg 17.7
Manganese, mg/kg 1.3
Iodine, mg/kg 0.38
Selenium, mg/kg 0.40

While the grass does dilute their overall protein intake
Wow, I didn't know that! I've often wondered why the first thing my flock does when I put them back in their run from free ranging is go straight to the feed and gorge themselves like they haven't eaten in days. Guess its their bodies telling them they need more protein. Glad I stumbled upon that info.

Back
Top Bottom