Corn

bacpacker

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
Being new to raising chickens I thought I should pose this question. I have been feeding by flock both crumbles and cracked corn. Can they have whole corn straight off the cob? I have grown and buch of hickory king corn for feed, but wasn't sure if it has to be cracked or not.
Thanks for any advise.

Thanks RR. They are about 20-23 weeks old and have started laying. I give them some grit and cruched oyster shell. I don't plan on starting with the corn until around Thanksgiving or so anyway. That'll put them around 30 weeks by then.

They are definitely old enough for corn cobs. Mine LOVE LOVE LOVE corn on the cob. This is my favourite treat for them. They also like when I pick the kernels off and throw in to them. It's funny watch them fight over one kernel. Mine are the same age as yours, with a few being around 3 months old and loving corn (and eating it) wonderfully!

Very good. I had planned on running the cobs thru a old sheller I got off e-bay to cut down on storage space, but I will start pulling some cobs from the plants and get them started.

Back
Top Bottom