Cornish Cross Chicks

Tbone101

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
I have a few questions about rasing Cornish cross chicks.

First off, how long do they need to be under a heat lamp, and will they pick at each other if they're to close in the brooder?

Second, what rations should I give them?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

They should be under the heat lamp like any other chick -- from day 1 until they are fully feathered, with a gradual decrease in temperature. When they get old enough you can let them outside if you want them to be pastured, but at night you should probably put them back under the lamp.

If there is not enough room in the brooder for the chicks to mill around comfortably and have lots of space, they will definitely get bored and start picking. Picking can lead to cannibalism, so be very careful that they aren't crowded.

Feed them chick starter/grower, usually a 22% protein content. At some point you will have to withhold rations overnight, but I'm not sure what age.

Ok thanks for the information! Do you know how much square feet a chick needs?

I pulled my last batch of meaties out from under the heat lamp at about three weeks. Keep in mind that was in June in southern oregon, pretty mild climate. It was maybe a bit soon, but they did great and tasted like chicken! We just fed them a broiler/grower ration, and they were in with my young layers and everyone ate the same thing. I didn't lose any except one to a predator. They do need space, but I don't think they're as likely to peck each other as other birds. They're too interested in eating food to eat each other.

You might get more responses in the meat bird thread, fyi.

Mine started staying away from the light at 2 weeks old. Room temp at that point was 55 degrees F. They're not 4 weeks old and in our unheated basement sharing one light between 13 birds. The meaties are rarely under it. They throw a lot of heat, but the light should be available if they need it.
Everyone here eats flock raiser.

Back
Top Bottom