Cornish Cross Dying

Sportsman94

Chirping
Mar 24, 2021
Central Georgia
Looking to see if anyone can help me figure out what’s happening with my most recent batch of Cornish cross. We’ve been raising meat birds for the last couple years. This fall, I ordered a batch of 40 and they came the first week of October. I raised these differently than I have in the past. I brooded them in the chicken tractor outside. All was good for the first 3-4 weeks of life only losing 1-2. In the last week/week and a half we have lost 10 birds for a total of 12 dead. Every time there will be one or two that isolates themselves from the rest of the flock within the tractor. They go into what appears to be a deep sleep and lay there for hours. They are breathing, but Are not alert to anything unless I pick them up. Then they are still minimally alarmed and go right back to sleep when put down. A couple hours later they are dead every time. I’ve tried separating them and giving them vitamins and electrolytes with no success in helping them stay alive. They have access to free feed from daylight to dark when it is removed from the tractor. Water is refreshed daily. Any experience with these symptoms? Any help is greatly appreciated

The very first thing that comes to mind for this age would be coccidiosis.
Can you go out there and watch them right now and get pictures of fresh poop?

The very first thing that comes to mind for this age would be coccidiosis.
Can you go out there and watch them right now and get pictures of fresh poop?
They are actually on day 3 of being treated with corid. I didn’t see anything that screamed cocci to me, but figured I’d treat them with it just in case that was the case. The poops look pretty normal, but some do have a pink streak through them. It’s raining right now, but I can go inspect later once the rain moved out.

They are actually on day 3 of being treated with corid. I didn’t see anything that screamed cocci to me, but figured I’d treat them with it just in case that was the case. The poops look pretty normal, but some do have a pink streak through them. It’s raining right now, but I can go inspect later once the rain moved out.
How much Corid are you using?
Are you using the powder or the liquid?

Are you aware that by giving vitamins at the same time as Corid you may be cancelling our the effect of the Corid?

How much Corid are you using?
Are you using the powder or the liquid?

Are you aware that by giving vitamins at the same time as Corid you may be cancelling our the effect of the Corid?
Kiki, I have the liquid. I wasn’t sure on dosing, but saw someone mention 2 tsp per gallon of water so that’s what I’ve been doing.

I did read that the vitamins and corid cancel each other due to this site. I haven’t tried separating any and giving vitamins since I started the medication. The ones I did it with previously were the ones that were already on their way out and it didn’t help so I kind of gave up on that as a plan of action and then moved on to the corid

Kiki, I have the liquid. I wasn’t sure on dosing, but saw someone mention 2 tsp per gallon of water so that’s what I’ve been doing.

I did read that the vitamins and corid cancel each other due to this site. I haven’t tried separating any and giving vitamins since I started the medication. The ones I did it with previously were the ones that were already on their way out and it didn’t help so I kind of gave up on that as a plan of action and then moved on to the corid
Ok great! You can give them each a few drops of undiluted Corid straight to the beak too.

Hopefully the Corid saves the rest.

Thanks for your help. I didn’t know if it was cocci, but that was the only thing I read about taking out meat birds in a similar fashion. I’ll report back if it helps or not. Is 5 days of treatment what’s required or would you do more?

Thanks for your help. I didn’t know if it was cocci, but that was the only thing I read about taking out meat birds in a similar fashion. I’ll report back if it helps or not. Is 5 days of treatment what’s required or would you do more?
I would follow this if I were using Corid.

Article 'Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed - The Correct Amprolium Dose' https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

Also...cocci is a bacteria. Something completely different that Corid will not treat.
Thread 'Cocci vs. coccidia' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/cocci-vs-coccidia.1335084/

Well, we are on day 5 of the corid treatment and the deaths have seemed to continue. We had one due yesterday, and another that appears to have the same symptoms as the rest of them today

Well, we are on day 5 of the corid treatment and the deaths have seemed to continue. We had one due yesterday, and another that appears to have the same symptoms as the rest of them today
Are they drinking the Corid water?
Are you making it fresh daily and is it the only water?

Is there area wet any where?

Can you take a clear video of the set up and a few birds?

Can you take a picture of the feed and the feed tag on the bag?

Back
Top Bottom