Cornish cross eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rrrmamma, Aug 10, 2013.

1. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    Well, I have 5 Cornish x meat birds that we did not butcher. They are 6 months old. I have a mixed flock and usually get white, brown, blue and green eggs. Two days ago I found a really tiny brown egg and today I found a pullet sized brown egg. All my brown egg layers are at least 2 years old and not molting. What color would the Cornish cross eggs be? or would it depend on what the cross was. I am wondering if one of the hens is starting to lay..

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I am a long way from an egg genetics expert -- but I would guess those are from your Cornish X, as Cornish X are a cross breed, and I believe Plymouth Rocks are usually at least part of that cross. Cornish lay brown eggs, too, at loeast according to Ideal's website.

3. gichickens

gichickens Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Mass
    Hi everyone I have five chickens an I got my first 3 eggs yesterday an I was wondering why they did not lay this morning for?

4. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    Thanks flockwatcher, If I have any indication that my roo is mating one of them I think I will pop some eggs in the bator. He is a
    black JG. should be interesting. I like mutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by