Cornish Cross with hurt leg?

Nov 6, 2020
Midwest US
Hello,

One of our Cornish Cross chickens has a problem with her leg. She can move it, she just isn't using it. We woke up yesterday morning and it was like that. We have her inside so we can monitor her. We're hoping with time and rest her leg might heal, but we don't know what happened. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Thank you!

Cornish cross birds are bred for fast growth and because of that they have a lot of problems i.e: heart, liver, kidne, and leg problems. She may never heal. She is just to fat. Sry.

Thank you for your reply! I'm doubtful that that's what it is, because our Cornish X can move very easily. We purposely didn't overfeed our chickens to try and avoid those issues. It seems like something else hurt it; I'm just wondering if we can do something to help her? How do chickens show pain?

Have you evaluated the leg, foot and foot pad for any injuries? Are there any spots where she reacts more strongly if you touch it (good indicator of pain)? Or spots that feel swollen, inflamed or warm?

Have you evaluated the leg, foot and foot pad for any injuries? Are there any spots where she reacts more strongly if you touch it (good indicator of pain)? Or spots that feel swollen, inflamed or warm?
Thanks for replying! We did look at her leg, and didn't see any cuts, swelling, etc. We didn't notice her reacting to any specific place, just her leg in general. She keeps putting it behind her as if that's a more comfortable position.

Thanks for replying! We did look at her leg, and didn't see any cuts, swelling, etc. We didn't notice her reacting to any specific place, just her leg in general. She keeps putting it behind her as if that's a more comfortable position.
Is she doing the splayed-leg Mareks thing, usually one leg behind and one leg in front?

Back
Top Bottom