Cornish Pets

olayak

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
New York
Hi,

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We adopted four Cornish X chicks that were in a local animal shelter and we may soon be adopting a 5th. Our chicks are now about 4 weeks old and we adopted them two weeks ago! We have other pet birds but these are our first chickens! A lot of fun and a lot to learn!
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Four, soon may be adding a 5th chick!
(3) What breeds do you have?
Cornish Cross! They are adorable and sweet and, yes, I know they are usually meat chickens but we don't eat meat so these are our pets.
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Internet searching like crazy because I knew very little about chickens!
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I am a doctoral student of social welfare and adjunct instructor of social work, I primarily study and lecture about the human-animal bond!
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have four dogs, 5 inside cats, 2 feral, outdoor, cats that adopted us, 4 pet pigeons and 2 potbellied pigs. And my patient and kind husband.
I'm also a pediatric trauma social worker and my husband is an artist. One of our dogs is obsessed with the chickens and he just wants to take care of them all the time. It's too cute! He's not a livestock guarding breed, but I guess he decided to be a LGD! :)
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I'm already addicted to having chicken companions! They are only 4 weeks old but already I am having so much fun with them! They're awesome!

Be very careful feeding those chickens. Cornish X can easily put on so much weight that they hurt themselves, they're bred to bulk up unhealthily fast.
IMO, you should get a couple more chickens of some other breed. Having active companions will help keep yours active and healthy. Be sure they have lots to do, as well, and closely monitor their weight.

Be very careful feeding those chickens. Cornish X can easily put on so much weight that they hurt themselves, they're bred to bulk up unhealthily fast.
IMO, you should get a couple more chickens of some other breed. Having active companions will help keep yours active and healthy. Be sure they have lots to do, as well, and closely monitor their weight.

Yes, we are very closely monitoring their weight. And we are also realistic that they may not live long, but we will enjoy their company as long as we can :) But that is a great idea to adopt other breeds to keep them active!! I didn't think of that! Thanks! I think I'll do that!

Welcome to BYC! and good luck with your pets.

My cornish-X chicks have always been such sweetie pies, until this year. This batch is just food crazy! they peck my hands as I try to clean their brooder and stand on my feet and peck at my legs until I put the feeder down. They try to fly up to the feeder as I carry it to "the spot" and try to fly out of the brooder when I remove teh feeder to clean and fill it. Crazy bunch this time.
Oh yeah, and they think it is cool to stand on top of the 3 gallon waterer and poop all over it.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

I recommend you feed them every other day. They can out grow their legs and body cavity in no time in which case you will need to put them down. Keep them ultra thin, on a diet continuously! :)

Good luck and welcome our group! :)

Absolutely! Restricting their diet, low protein and giving them lots of exercise! :)
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom