Pics

Lyndssxo08

Songster
5 Years
May 3, 2018
Purcellville, VA
My Coop
My Coop
So... we spent Friday night running errands like we mainly do and I had to run by tractor supply to pick up some chick feed && as most of you know it’s “chick days” and they have all their chicks and ducklings there so obviously I had to head over there go check things out just like I’m sure everyone else does anyways as I look in one of the pens as the ladies were taking out the waterers to clean I noticed a tiny lifeless chick that had been caught under one of the waterers (for goodness knows how long) and I thought was dead. The other chicks were picking at it and walking all over it and I pointed it out to the ladies and they picked it up. They mentioned it wasn’t going to make it and was probably about dead, that’s when I jumped in and asked them if I could have the chick. They hesitated for a moment both knowing it most likely wouldn’t make it much longer and were not sure whether to hand it off to me, which I understood completely and that’s when the girl said “look if you want it you can have it but I doubt it will make it”. Not knowing what in the world they were going to do with the chick (I don’t even want to think about it), I more than willing swooped him up and held him in my hands - as I’m sure anyone who knows me knew I would be the person that would be more than happy to take a chance at saving this little lifeless baby. There was no way I was leaving that place without it, I’ll tell you that much. He was so cold, barely moving to the point that I didn’t even think he was breathing, eyes closed, making absolutely no noise whatsoever. As bad as I wanted it to live, in all reality I knew there was little to no chance of this chick making it through the night let alone the next hour - I honestly didn’t even think it would make it to the truck. As soon as I got in the truck I held it up to the vent and cranked the heat like crazy holding it the whole way home literally praying the entire way. By the time we were pulling in the driveway it was chirping and moving it’s head, eyes opening a little and that was a miracle to me in itself. The picture I’m posting is literally maybe 10 MINUTES after I got the chick in our house - she’s the cute little yellow chick to the right. (I'm so mad I didn't think to get a video or picture while in TSC but I was too worried about just getting her home and feeling better to even think about it). Made sure the little one had some pedialtye in her, warmed her up a bit, some TLC and wallllllah ‍♀️ she's doing amazing now and healthy as can be. You wouldn't even know it was the same chick seriously!

Anyways now I've been reading up about cornish rocks and how they are basically impossible to live out a decent life as a pet. I've obviously grown attached the last few days to the chick, and after dealing with all the drama Friday night and reviving her, I want to try and give this little soul the best life I can as a pet since basically I took on the responsibility to caring for her. Has anyone had much luck trying to raise one as an adult without many complications? I'm willing to do whatever since I'm pretty daggone hands on with my chickens. Thanks for the help in advance everyone - ya'll are amazing!
53870588_986389171749569_6568123516737028096_n.jpg

So... we spent Friday night running errands like we mainly do and I had to run by tractor supply to pick up some chick feed && as most of you know it’s “chick days” and they have all their chicks and ducklings there so obviously I had to head over there go check things out just like I’m sure everyone else does anyways as I look in one of the pens as the ladies were taking out the waterers to clean I noticed a tiny lifeless chick that had been caught under one of the waterers (for goodness knows how long) and I thought was dead. The other chicks were picking at it and walking all over it and I pointed it out to the ladies and they picked it up. They mentioned it wasn’t going to make it and was probably about dead, that’s when I jumped in and asked them if I could have the chick. They hesitated for a moment both knowing it most likely wouldn’t make it much longer and were not sure whether to hand it off to me, which I understood completely and that’s when the girl said “look if you want it you can have it but I doubt it will make it”. Not knowing what in the world they were going to do with the chick (I don’t even want to think about it), I more than willing swooped him up and held him in my hands - as I’m sure anyone who knows me knew I would be the person that would be more than happy to take a chance at saving this little lifeless baby. There was no way I was leaving that place without it, I’ll tell you that much. He was so cold, barely moving to the point that I didn’t even think he was breathing, eyes closed, making absolutely no noise whatsoever. As bad as I wanted it to live, in all reality I knew there was little to no chance of this chick making it through the night let alone the next hour - I honestly didn’t even think it would make it to the truck. As soon as I got in the truck I held it up to the vent and cranked the heat like crazy holding it the whole way home literally praying the entire way. By the time we were pulling in the driveway it was chirping and moving it’s head, eyes opening a little and that was a miracle to me in itself. The picture I’m posting is literally maybe 10 MINUTES after I got the chick in our house - she’s the cute little yellow chick to the right. (I'm so mad I didn't think to get a video or picture while in TSC but I was too worried about just getting her home and feeling better to even think about it). Made sure the little one had some pedialtye in her, warmed her up a bit, some TLC and wallllllah ‍♀️ she's doing amazing now and healthy as can be. You wouldn't even know it was the same chick seriously!

Anyways now I've been reading up about cornish rocks and how they are basically impossible to live out a decent life as a pet. I've obviously grown attached the last few days to the chick, and after dealing with all the drama Friday night and reviving her, I want to try and give this little soul the best life I can as a pet since basically I took on the responsibility to caring for her. Has anyone had much luck trying to raise one as an adult without many complications? I'm willing to do whatever since I'm pretty daggone hands on with my chickens. Thanks for the help in advance everyone - ya'll are amazing!View attachment 1698096
Isn't she cute!
Some people have been successful in raising CornishX past the butchering age, I don't know much about that, but controlling diet and exercise would be key.
Someone like @HeiHeisMom may be able to give you some tips, I believe she has a pet Meatie.

Back
Top Bottom