Cornish Rock Chicks.

okay, so I am brand new to byc, HELLO!!!
Here's my situation. I decided to give Cornish X a try and picked up 40 at Tractor Supply. My question is some look clearly different to me. The color is the same, but their body is not boxy like cx, more elongated, and their legs are not chunky like the others they're much skinnier. Do these look like cx or something else? Thanks so much in advance for your help!

So I have 25 out of 40 that look like this. Can someone with experience with Cornish X chicks tell me if this is what they are supposed to look like? I don't mind a couple of mistaken birds, but 25 will certainly throw off my game plan for meat birds!

I'm ready to cry. My husband bought me 6 chicks from TSC for Easter. I was so happy. I've really taken great care of them and my husband just built a nice coop and fenced in yard. 3 are Cornish Rock and after being told what to expect (their hugeness and used for meat), I held on to the hope that maybe, just maybe they could be pets. I really like their demeanor -- so sweet, and the rooster comes to me automatically. After reading all the good advice above, I don't know what to do.They are approx. 6 weeks old and very big compared to the other three pullets. This is a dilemma . . . I am a vegetarian and live in the chicken capital of the world -- near Moorefield, WV. After watching all the trucks going to slaughter with the chicks, I vowed I wouldn't eat meat again. This is my conviction and not meant to devalue anothers. Should I just see how it goes, or is in inhumane to keep such large chickens when they reach 12 weeks or so?

The chickens will solve the problem on their own. They will most likely just keel over. If they get leg problems though you will have to find someone to put them down. I'm sorry. I too like the darn things and I tried once to keep some as pets. Didn't work out very well either for me or the chickens.

I am sorry you got upset at the sight of the trucks taking the chickens to the processing plant. But what do you think should be done with them? I'm not poking fun at you. I am curious.

Cassie,

I am not against the slaughtering of animals for food, but it is the inhumane practices that often accompany it. If I buy meet I eat (once a year at Thanksgiving), I spend more (alot more) for a certified human turkey. I will give my 3 Rock Cornish to a nearby farmer who practices such a policy. He has a small farm and feeds his family from it.

Another thought. If we ate less meat, we wouldn't need to engineer birds like the Cornish Rock. Also, we could implement better practices for life and slaughter. Prices would go up, but we could eat less.

Back
Top Bottom