cornish rock cross lay eggs?

Hi, "duluthralphie" I crossed mine with Black Australorp. I started this breeding project for the same reason as you I want a larger thighed and bigger breasted bird, but I also want a healthier bird with less health issues, which I think I've managed to get, here are some pictures.

These are my Cornish Rock Cross Breeder hens, with My Black Australorp rooster...

This is a picture of one of my Cornish Rock cross/black Australorp cross hens... (about 2 months old)

This is a picture of one of my Cornish Rock cross/black Australorp cross roosters... (about 2 months old)

They are sex-link in color-all the hens are splashed and all the roosters are pure white. I call mine "Fatty fatties."

Last edited:
Hi, "duluthralphie" I crossed mine with Black Australorp. I started this breeding project for the same reason as you I want a larger thighed and bigger breasted bird, but I also want a healthier bird with less health issues, which I think I've managed to get, here are some pictures.

These are my Cornish Rock Cross Breeder hens, with My Black Australorp rooster...

This is a picture of one of my Cornish Rock cross/black Australorp cross hens... (about 2 months old)

This is a picture of one of my Cornish Rock cross/black Australorp cross roosters... (about 2 months old)

They are sex-link in color-all the hens are splashed and all the roosters are pure white.
That's interesting the sex linked part, I wondered that when they hatched, some had a white spot on their heads and black bodies the others were white. I am not sure but the barred ones seem to be hens and the white ones roosters, which seems backwards to me, but with CX's who knows.

I have noticed my "toads" will stop eating when there is still food front of them. Something the CX's never did.

That's interesting the sex linked part, I wondered that when they hatched, some had a white spot on their heads and black bodies the others were white. I am not sure but the barred ones seem to be hens and the white ones roosters, which seems backwards to me, but with CX's who knows.

I have noticed my "toads" will stop eating when there is still food front of them. Something the CX's never did.
Mine do the same thing, and I free-range mine-instead of sitting at the feeder eating all day, they go out in the field and chase bugs, and dig in the dirt all day.

Mine do the same thing, and I free-range mine-instead of sitting at the feeder eating all day, they go out in the field and chase bugs, and dig in the dirt all day.

I also free range mine. BUT I even free range my CX's .. they all will chase bugs dig in the dirt and run around. But then I love CX's. They have such sweet personalities.

I also free range mine. BUT I even free range my CX's .. they all will chase bugs dig in the dirt and run around. But then I love CX's. They have such sweet personalities.
I keep my CX's in a chicken tractor, so they usually sit in front of the feeder and eat their food until it's gone, then they lay a couple eggs and lay around, lol. But my Cornish Rock cross/black Australorp crosses run around and are much more "chicken like." I also found my crosses are healthier then CX's. And I love CX's too, they are just so sweet and trusting!

My Cornish Cross hen lays great eggs. Large white eggs, and sometimes even double yolks. As long as you limit their food, and make sure they can run around they'll make great egg layers.

My Cornish Cross hen lays great eggs. Large white eggs, and sometimes even double yolks. As long as you limit their food, and make sure they can run around they'll make great egg layers.
Yes, I agree. I fed mine very limited food and free ranged them with regular chickens, and they were great egg layers! I got regular, double, and a few triple yolk. But also some people believe they can't breed this is very untrue. I haven't tried breeding pure, but have had amazing success crossing with them! I kept 12 CX hens all winter and in spring got rewarded with lots of eggs, and chicks. They are also a very mellow kind of sweet natured chicken! Has anyone breed 3/4 Cornish crosses?? (because i'm hoping too ans wondering if anyone else has had any luck.) Or has anyone bred with a pure Cornish rock roo??

Yes, I agree. I fed mine very limited food and free ranged them with regular chickens, and they were great egg layers! I got regular, double, and a few triple yolk. But also some people believe they can't breed this is very untrue. I haven't tried breeding pure, but have had amazing success crossing with them! I kept 12 CX hens all winter and in spring got rewarded with lots of eggs, and chicks. They are also a very mellow kind of sweet natured chicken! Has anyone breed 3/4 Cornish crosses?? (because i'm hoping too ans wondering if anyone else has had any luck.) Or has anyone bred with a pure Cornish rock roo??

I have some half breed CX's (toads) . I have a rooster and a hen their mother was a Dixie rainbow.

I have 7 pure CX's pullets/hens (they have yet to lay an egg).

I will be hatching any eggs I get as soon as I get them. These will be 3/4 frog and 1/4 toad.

Toad is a CX half breed, I decided they needed a name. A frog is a second generation CX.

Back
Top Bottom