CORNISH ROCK-Family pet?

DavesMommy

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
I just joined this site tonight and im very glad I did. I have a about a week old ( just his wings are feathered) Cornish rock chick. s/he was bought for a pet and not food or to lay eggs. I have never had any sort of chickens before so im very new to this. My question is is there any way I can keep this baby healthy as a pet? I children are getting attached very fast to "Dave" (from the movie Hop :) The Manager at tractor supply told me they make great pets and they life long happy lives but as ive read its not true. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Cornish Cross were bred to put on a lot of weight in a short time. 8 weeks is really the lifespan of a bird in a commercial situation. They are one of the best, and most common meat breeds available. Unfortunately, they are prone to health problems such as arthritis from the sheer weight of their large breasts, and heart failure. However, I've heard of people keeping them for a while, while they monitor and control how much they eat.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm sorry the TSC guy set your family up for this--that really sucks.

It is possible to keep Cornish alive past the common slaughter date of 8 weeks, but it takes good management. You need to limit food and get the bird to exercise as much as you can. Free range time in the yard is great. CX are very friendly little guys, I will say that. Is it your only chick? If so, you should consider getting at least one more, as they really like being with their own kind.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-your-cornish-x-meaties-tractors-do-not-count is meant for meat birds, but does show a way to raise them. Again, it is a meat bird thread in general.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/331273/cornishx-as-a-pet post 18 by Kuntrygirl shows a success story.

You can use the advanced search function to look for more examples.

Success do happen, but most times the bird doesn't make it to the 6ish month mark. You'll need to have a contingency plan for putting the bird down in case it does start to develop signs of distress. Actually, anyone who owns a chicken should have such a plan in place, imo.

I've only raised roosters to slaughter age, so I don't have experience past that.
hmm.png
Someone should point you in the right direction though. Best of luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
Do you know how soon I should start watching what s/he eats?
Just watch what he/she eats. Normally for meat they can get too big where they cant walk, their legs just can't hold the weight. Exercise him a lot and he should be fine!

I'd start now. Most times with chicks you keep feed available to them 24/7, and some folks say meat birds should be on 12hours/ off 12 hours. I'd let it eat as much as it likes say 4 times a day to start, as it's little. As it grows reduce the feedings to 3 times a day, then down to twice and stay there.

A full grown laying hen should eat around 1/4-1/3 cup of feed a day, on average, during decent weather. I'm really not sure how much your little guy should be eating, but that will give you at least a guideline for adult bird intake.

good luck with it--as I said, they really are friendly little things, to the point where it gets hard to process them, even when you've raised them specifically for meat!

Oh thank you guys so much! He's so sweet he comes running when we call him and jumps in our hands for us to hold him. I could never think of procssing him. I took his feed away last night and spred it for him to find it. I'm hopeful since he's so young I can help him live a healthly life. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
We bought three but this is the only one that survived. Would he he okay with another breed of chicken?

We bought three but this is the only one that survived. Would he he okay with another breed of chicken?
Yes! You can put any breed with him. It's your choice on what breed you want! Just make sure they are close to the same age.

Back
Top Bottom