Cornish rocks and white leghorns

The cornish rock grow very fast and the white leghorn seem to develop combs quicker. We had a hard time telling the hens from Roos. I do see a couple cornish rock in there based off their double breast. These are all Cornish (straight run) at 6-7 weeks

Thanks. I'll look into the white rocks maybe that's what they are. The guy that went halves with me said all the meat birds he ever raised were 6+ lbs by 8 weeks old.

Mine do look about as tall as yours though lafarm. If that's a 3x3 hog panel than those chick's are about 6-7 inches tall.

Thanks. I'll look into the white rocks maybe that's what they are. The guy that went halves with me said all the meat birds he ever raised were 6+ lbs by 8 weeks old.

Mine do look about as tall as yours though lafarm. If that's a 3x3 hog panel than those chick's are about 6-7 inches tall.

Yes.
I agree that they are too big to be white leghorn. We raise those too and they stay small and skinny a lot longer - very slow growers.

Our Cornish rock usually finish off 5-8 lbs depending on male or female. There are many times we doubt their size and they end up surprising us. That said, we have never successfully raised Cornish rock to 6+ lbs with a fall harvest. They grow much slower and end up more muscular than desired (that is if you are raising them for harvest). They use much of their energy/food keeping warm. Your chickens look similar to our last fall harvest. It took them 11wks to get to a finished size!
This is the best picture that I have of them at 8 weeks.

Our largest spring Cornish rock male 8wks

I don't want to bore you with any more of my pictures haha... I was browsing through them and it looks like ours got the "red face" that Cornish rock get around 7weeks.

I am not familiar with white rock, so I am not much help there.

I don't want to bore you with any more of my pictures haha... I was browsing through them and it looks like ours got the "red face" that Cornish rock get around 7weeks.

I am not familiar with white rock, so I am not much help there.

Not boring me at all. I've spent a bunch of time looking for different pictures to compare to mine to.

Yea your have alot of red face on them mine barely have a hint of it. They look to be alot wider as well.

The white rocks say they have red earlobes but don't look to have as much red on the face as the cornish rocks do. Is this right or its just the pictures I've seen?

Males get very red, very early. Pullets don't get very red until they are nearing maturity. Cornish Rocks develop much faster than White Rocks, due to their cross breeding. White Rocks should grow and develop like any other dual-purpose breed. Males take about 14 to 16 weeks to reach processing size. Pullets have more value as egg layers than meat birds. They don't dress out the same as Cornish Rocks. You're not going to get the huge breast meat, but you will get more dark meat.

Males get very red, very early. Pullets don't get very red until they are nearing maturity. Cornish Rocks develop much faster than White Rocks, due to their cross breeding. White Rocks should grow and develop like any other dual-purpose breed. Males take about 14 to 16 weeks to reach processing size. Pullets have more value as egg layers than meat birds. They don't dress out the same as Cornish Rocks. You're not going to get the huge breast meat, but you will get more dark meat.

Male white rocks or cornish rocks get red very early? Mine don't seem to have much red at all. The only one I can tell for sure is a rooster is this one but I have heard one other trying to crow I just don't know which it is.

I'd be happy if they are white rocks I wanted eggs and meat. My buddy isn't to happy but we only paid 50cents a chick so he can't complain to much.

Male white rocks or cornish rocks get red very early? Mine don't seem to have much red at all. The only one I can tell for sure is a rooster is this one but I have heard one other trying to crow I just don't know which it is.

I'd be happy if they are white rocks I wanted eggs and meat. My buddy isn't to happy but we only paid 50cents a chick so he can't complain to much.

I would say white rock. I believe ypu can breed a Cornish to the white rock to get some really nice meat chickens too.

Great deal on the purchase!

The one right in the middle in the first pic with the very upright tail looks to be a white leghorn to me. Correction, make that second pic.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom