Cornish rocks not getting very big

Even on layer feed if that was a CX it would be the size of a small turkey. 16% is still plenty for them to gain weight, it would be slower but not that slow.

To the OP.... How much feed does it eat? If it was a CX it would live by the dish, and eat 5 times as much food as your other birds.

I still say that's not a Cornish Cross

I agree it's not a Cornish cross, but even for a 20 week old Rock it looks smallish to me.

I got them so grower today but even the grower feed only has 19% protein so that's not a huge difference from what I'm already giving them. My run doesn't have a top on it because it's in the woods but I'll figure something out. I bought 6 of these from tractor supply and they told me they were Cornish rocks. But regardless I don't buy anything from there anymore.

Are Cornish rocks and cornish cross two different breeds. Because I googled Cornish rocks and it looks like the chickens we have. I'm thinking the reason they are smaller is due to my ignorance that meat chickens were suppose to have constant access to food. This is our first batch of meat chickens so I suppose we didn't know what exactly to do.

ff0f17c1b67ac2b240db21d572b4b0fd.jpg

Hers a pic of some of my birds I think they were 5-6 weeks that are Cornish X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got them so grower today but even the grower feed only has 19% protein so that's not a huge difference from what I'm already giving them. My run doesn't have a top on it because it's in the woods but I'll figure something out. I bought 6 of these from tractor supply and they told me they were Cornish rocks. But regardless I don't buy anything from there anymore.
Straight grower at 19% protein is a lot more than 16% layer cut with scratch and corn. Layer feed should not be fed to any bird that is not actively laying eggs. The extra calcium in layer feed can do serious damage to the kidneys of non-laying birds if fed long term. Scratch grains and corn should be fed sparingly. They are not complete feeds and should not be used as a primary diet. They are useful for adding calories in cold weather, but there is no need to feed it during the summer.

Ok. I have some birds that are laying and some that aren't. So what should I be feeding them on a daily basis then?

The grower is good for everyone. The higher protein content helps hens to keep laying through hot weather, it helps them recover from a molt faster, it helps prevent feather picking, and it helps prevent egg eating. Just provide the layers with some crushed oyster shell in a separate dish. The birds that need it, will eat it. The ones that don't need it, won't eat it.

Where do I get crushed oyster shell? And what does that do for them? This is just a bit confusing because my wife and her family have raised chickens for ever and they never feed anything but corn and they have never had a single problem. They look at me like im crazy when I start talking about all this stuff lol.

It just sounds like these chickens are going to be eating better than my family. And rack up a bigger grocery bill also.

Back
Top Bottom