cornish rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bturbo87, May 14, 2010.

1. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    so im hoping this is the right place for this. I just got back home from picking up a few new girls to add to the flock, 2 dominiques and 2 cornish hens, and the lady i bought them off of threw in a free cornish rooster so i figured why not, if he gets to mean i can eat him right? well, turns out hes just a little rapist, and has already mounted his cornish hens one of the dominiques, and my orpington cross. my question is, is it possible for him to fertilize the eggs from the dominiques and orpington, since hes a cornish?????

thanks for the help!

2. CORNISH CRAZY

CORNISH CRAZY New Egg

May 13, 2010
    yes

3. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it is possible and highly probable.
    Roosters will mate all of their hens several times a day, every day. It is natural. It may look a little bit brutal, but that is how they do it.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I had a BR like that, and eventually he injured a couple hens, as well as attacking anything that moved, so he ended up in the freezer- i now have a brahma roo that changed the whole dynamics of the flock, the hens follow him around like lovesick girls and he is fairly gentle, so beside having him just for the flock, watch your hens and see how they act- a good roo will make your hens happy and protected, with some romance thrown in- a mean roo will stress them out and possibly injure them- you just need to watch-

5. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    A good rooster will approach a hen with a side-stepping shuffle to see if she is receptive. Sometimes he will do it several times before she is ready for him and he actually mounts and mates. Others will get a beak hold and forcefully drag a hen down while she squawks the entire way. A lot depends on the hen too. Some hens can get aggressive when a rooster makes advances towards them whether or not they are ready. Then the rooster might have to be more assertive. Another problem is when there are too many roosters and not enough hens in a flock. Then, they have no time for courting since they have to get the job done before a more dominant rooster runs over and knocks them off the hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by