Cornish Thread

Good to know! Thanks. An eight week old leghorn is bigger than a quail though, right?

A little longer in the breast, maybe just a little more meat. Definitely much more than a dove or woodcock. I treated them much like upland birds, splitting them up the middle cutting out the breast, then the legs with thighs attached and then throwing the rest in the gut bucket. I call it, "salvage butchering".

A little longer in the breast, maybe just a little more meat. Definitely much more than a dove or woodcock. I treated them much like upland birds, splitting them up the middle cutting out the breast, then the legs with thighs attached and then throwing the rest in the gut bucket. I call it, "salvage butchering".

Only without that livery flavor of woodcock. Been a few years since I have eaten one, or dove for that matter.

I hear that goose tastes like liver too. Is that true? I like liver, my husband hates it he won't even eat duck. We'll stick to chicken even if they are skinny
lol.png

I can see where people think that goose tastes like liver, based on some of the Canadas I've eaten. But it is more like a hint of flavor similar to liver. Maybe saying that goose tastes a little like woodcock would be more accurate, or maybe "tastes like a bird with dark straight grained meat, but with more fat". Tastes like goose would be the most accurate. Taste is one of those subjective things for which we have far too few descriptive terms. "Tastes like chicken" comes to mind. Which part of the chicken, what kind of chicken, and what was that chicken fed?

Goose taste like liver? Absolutely not. I believe just about the only thing that tastes like liver is.............liver.

lau.gif

I can see where people think that goose tastes like liver, based on some of the Canadas I've eaten. But it is more like a hint of flavor similar to liver. Maybe saying that goose tastes a little like woodcock would be more accurate, or maybe "tastes like a bird with dark straight grained meat, but with more fat". Tastes like goose would be the most accurate. Taste is one of those subjective things for which we have far too few descriptive terms. "Tastes like chicken" comes to mind. Which part of the chicken, what kind of chicken, and what was that chicken fed?

LOL he says duck tastes like liver, so if goose tastes like duck...... problem! Which is fine, goose is so blasted expensive just as well we won't be trying it.
varidgerunner, spoken like a true chicken gourmand....... we need those adjectives those wine tasters use- " Full- bodied, buttery, supple, smooth- smokey with earthy notes" or such.

Last edited:
I suspect sometimes the flavor of wild killed game bird and waterfowl can be influenced somewhat by the lack of a complete bleed out as when processing domestic fowl.

I remember a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, in which the tiger started spouting off a bunch of nonsensical words to describe the way the air smelled on that particular day. That reminded me of reading about people of the far north having many different words in their language to describe specific kinds of snow. (Because they are familiar with many specific kinds of snow.)This line of thought profoundly changed the way I approach things like the olfactory capabilities of some animals, our own lack of olfactory capabilities, and our lack of adequate vocabulary to describe the limited capabilities we do have. We stoop to comparing tastes and smells to other things, and those comparisons might be exact or they might be very vague. Thus, "tastes like chicken" for everything from squirrel to frog legs. Yet we have words like "magenta" or "iridescent" to describe visual qualities.

Back
Top Bottom