Cornish Thread

I'm not varidgerunner but folks like me ignore the standard to some degree and breed what I need to serve my purposes. I don't sell live birds so there is no chance of misinforming anyone, even by accident.

I WILL sell dressed capons and the proof is in the eating, regardless what composite was used to create the bird.

I have a capon question- you still have to caponize a meat type bird, to get a good eating chicken, right? I mean, would there be any point in caponizing a production leghorn male?

There are several production/dual purpose birds that make capons that are more than adequate but something such as a leghorn would certainly be dredging the bottom of the barrel.

Hellbender I was afraid of that- I want to breed a dual purpose white eggshell layer, unfortunately that white eggshell part of the mix will not be good news for the meat production part of the dual......... I chose Anconas, supposedly meatier than leghorns, but that's in theory and I doubt that any Anconas I can get here will be any better than leghorns.This just means More back crosses, I guess!

People give the leghorns a bad rap. I always liked them. We used to get about three hundred a year, straight run, they were practically free. We would sell the pullets point of lay. As soon as we could tell what the roosters were, we started killing them. Not much meat, but boy was it good. Like eating little quail. I can still hear my little girl saying, "I would like some leg-er-in". They grow fast for about eight weeks. After that, they will eat you out of house and home trying to make them into a big chicken. It will never happen. After they hit a point you are growing two pounds of feathers for each pound of meat.

Hellbender I was afraid of that- I want to breed a dual purpose white eggshell layer, unfortunately that white eggshell  part of the mix will not be good news for the meat production part of the dual......... I chose Anconas, supposedly meatier than leghorns, but that's in theory and I doubt that any Anconas I can get here will be any better than leghorns.This just means  More back crosses, I guess!
have you considered barred Hollands

People give the leghorns a bad rap. I always liked them. We used to get about three hundred a year, straight run, they were practically free. We would sell the pullets point of lay. As soon as we could tell what the roosters were, we started killing them. Not much meat, but boy was it good. Like eating little quail. I can still hear my little girl saying, "I would like some leg-er-in". They grow fast for about eight weeks. After that, they will eat you out of house and home trying to make them into a big chicken. It will never happen. After they hit a point you are growing two pounds of feathers for each pound of meat.

Good to know! Thanks. An eight week old leghorn is bigger than a quail though, right?

Last edited:
I'll be making some Cornish games this weekend for Easter dinner. This pic was taken two weeks ago. This is my first F2 chick. A cockerel. I'll take a pic of the scale weight tomorrow. He is 44 days today so this pic is him @ 30 days old.
This is a 50% Dark Cornish/50% White Cornish Rock crossed back to the same mix.

Last edited:
I have no words, your breeding has produced jaw- dropping offspring.
bow.gif
Very, very impressive!

Back
Top Bottom