Cornish Thread

Quote:Something Iv never owned or even lusted for..... Im a fat man, a fat man has to roll out of a vette. I dont even park by them at the shows..... An old chevelle on the other hand.........

Last edited:
Yes I have Dark, Blue and Jubilee in my pen so will get all colours.

The advised way to breed them is use a Dark Rooster over all colours to improve or keep the desired lacing.

The blue is supposed to be darker then mine (which mine would be if I used a Dark Rooster) but I'm breeding for a lighter slate blue, which I like better.
Just another little project.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about that. I never even thought about it. I have BLR Wyandottes and have been learning more about the genetics involved. I actually have a roo with lighter blue and I enjoy it more then some of my darker blues. I have 2 dark Cornish chicks so now I'm kinda excited!

I have been selling a few eggs on ebay the last few weeks.... I dont have the pretty blues like Dave's thou. Mine are plain large fowl whites. As to type, I like them. But here is a BYC thread I started a while back about my flock....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...a-quality-sustainable-flock-for-meat-and-more

As if the title hadn't already won me over the pictures cinched the deal! I need some of these! I want to create a flock of black fleshed meat birds that are sustainable and good foragers with a build similar to the cornish. I'm going to split my flock and introduce pure cornish to one breeding pen and cornish cross to the other breeding pen and then see which gives better results over all. I like the rate of gain and feed conversion in the cornish cross but boy oh boy are they ever stupid lazy birds. I don't know how heritable their laziness and apathy is so I'm not exactly holding my breath. I suspect the pure cornish will yield better birds.

Also I love that thread, keep it up it's very informative and well done.

I have searched high and low for anyone who did this and it's like they just disappear out of thin air. I found some old posts on BYC but the guy seems to be unreachable now. People on Facebook claim to have done it but never answer when I contact them. I'd like to see some photos or just talk to get ideas if anyone knows anyone still doing this.

Good morning. Yes... As you have found, good Cornish are heavy! Most of my cockerels are too heavy to fly very well. Few hens can get over a 6' dog type kennel by the time they are over a year old... I have had large roosters jump off tall a roost and injured themselves... I use roosts of about 16" high or a deep layer of bedding underneath.... but your birds may just be the new kid and still low in the pecking order... Cornish are Often outcast in a large mixed flock... congrats on your new birds!

Along the same lines, what is the height of your next boxes?

I'm convinced that the hen is just too big to get up there. She has established herself as "HBIC". Was quite entertaining to watch- my Isa Brown's have been downright vicious any time I have introduced pullets before- they get to wear peepers until further notice. The big hen just basically sumo wrestled them with a chest bump and now everyone is terrified of her. There is a ramp to get up to the roosting area (platform 1m off the ground where 4 nest boxes are; roosts are about 2m off ground) but she either can't/won't go up the ramp. I have a 1 ft roost on the bottom that she begrudgingly uses at night but is clearly distressed that she is on the ground (or at least that she is away from everyone). I'm concerned that she won't be able to get up there to nest either, so I'm debating putting one of the pairs of boxes at ground level for her, and maybe trying to teach her to use the ramp this weekend. I could also put all 4 boxes on the floor- then at least if she would use the ramp she could sleep on the platform, which is deeply bedded with straw. The pullet and cockerel have figured out the ramp, but are too heavy to get up onto roosts, so they have been sleeping in/on the nest boxes. I'm wondering if reconfiguring it so that the nest boxes are on the ground, and then putting their little roost on the platform with extra bedding might be a safer option for the 3 of them. I would just hate for one of them to fall off and get injured.

Back
Top Bottom