Cornish Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jx2inNC, Sep 15, 2010.

1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Thanks Walt, I will give him a jingle. I plan on attending probably won't show but my wife may show some jersey giants. I have a real nice LF pullet she is almost perfect to my liking but has slightly crooked toes (hatching issue I think) so I am using her for a breeder. Is that a good idea? I have been told it is not passed on. It is not in my lines hiostory either I just think it was a bad hatch.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    It could be s bad hatch, but I would keep very good track of any birds that come out of this mating.

Walt

3. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    One thing I struggle with is hens getting to the size to fit the standard. Almost all those I have talked to say they have similar issues. This hen is about 6 months and is huge compared to all the others and she is not freakish looking but nice type.

4. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    JG's should be: C 13#, H 10#, K 11# P 8# so they are big birds. What do yours weigh?

Walt

5. Cedarknob

Cedarknob Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Western IL
    oops, I was wrong so deleted it

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  6. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Oh, sorry I meant my DC LF, the JG are at weight, they are good stock from a woman who showed there last year... Cher and I cannot recall her last name but they are nice birds. She sold some roosters there for 150.00 each at the sale barn the first night.

7. aviangems

aviangems Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami FL

8. aviangems

aviangems Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami FL
    Love the color pattern on that hen Tom.

Do yours consistently come properly marked or are they like most other WLRs wher it is one of many?

[​IMG]

9. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    You sure did a good job of posting some pictures of Blue Laced Red Project Birds that YOU RAISED.

Just give up now, and save everyone the laughter.

You did forget to post this picture- and so your thoughts on me selling birds, isn't accurate. If you intend to throw facts around, let them be truth.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ga...backyardchickens.com/image/id/5895719&setName=

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  10. Cedarknob

Cedarknob Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Western IL
    The link you posted does not work for me.

The birds of yours that I posted the pictures of were ones I had hatched for the potential use of adding body to my blue/green egg layers. They did not look to me to be very well suited for that purpose and I was going to cull them. Some were sold cheaply, others were given to you, because you said you wanted some cheap birds to breed your own project with. You very well knew, because I told you, exactly what they were and are. I also told you that, if you wanted a bird with some Cornish body on it, I thought you needed better birds, so gave you a DC cockerel that was showing a lot of promise of being a pretty good one. You have spoken of him in the past tense several times so I wonder if you still have him or not. I had no idea you intended promoting them as breeder quality Cornish in order to sell eggs or chicks. I do think you are young enough to eventually breed those you have up to something that looks a little more like a Cornish, and wish you well if that is your intent. If you want to call the birds you have purchased from me [or have been given] "breeder quality Cornish", then we do have a difference in opinion on all but the one DC that you have spoken of in the past tense.

I did keep one blue laced red cockerel for quite awhile thinking I might try breeding LF BLRCs from my DCs. He grew out in the wrong direction, and I decided such a project was not a great idea for me to try anyway, so he was culled. I had thought about giving him to you; but by that time you were already busy selling eggs and chicks off the cross bred birds you had gotten from me as breeder quality Cornish, making taunting posts here at BYC against anybody you could, plus busy speaking out against both quality Cornish and their breeders [even though you are a member of the Cornish breeders club]. I'm no longer interested in helping you out by giving or selling you either my culls or better birds now. Get headed in another direction [one actually aimed towards breeding Cornish more than selling eggs and chicks from what you got from me, and not acting like you're auditioning for a chance to appear on the Jerry Springer Show] and I will again be willing to do what little I can to help you out.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by