Cornish Thread

Pics
Check your feed dates and look for mold. I lost a nice cock a while back but there was no coughing or sneezing but his head turned purple.
No mold. I changed feed elevators last year and the one I am with is top notch. I only buy feed once a week and use it all, so it isn't sitting around or getting wet. I am going to clean their pen tomorrow and use fresh bedding. It is about time to change it just because, but it isn't bad. I am certain the cold weather that moved in last week is part of this problem, but not what is at the root of it. I have a couple hundred birds and these are the only ones that are having this problem this bad. I do have a couple in a pen two down from them that I decided to treat because I heard a couple of sneezes, but they are nothing like the Cornish pen is. I have some BLR project birds I hatched the same time in with them and they are uneffected. So, it is really just localized to this one pen. I have two pens of DCs, one inside the big house and one that is a tractor that is closed up and using for the other until I finish up some smaller coops for winter. I have about 13 breeds plus a few projects and oddballs. If it were a feed issue, I would be seeing it in the whole flock. When I butchered them, I looked at the lungs and they were definitely full of infection. I didn't even keep the backs and cut off the breasts and put them away boneless. It is just sad more than anything. It was just those two cockerels that turned purple like that and died. Even the worst looking of the pullets doesn't look nearly as bad as they did.
Tomorrow is another day and hopefully I will get this cleared up and be able to have a good number of breeders for the new hatch season when I am done.
If anyone knows of something besides Tylan to use for this, I will be using the injectable for another day or two, but I will need to get a new bottle. I find that Duramycin is completely ineffective on this stuff.

No mold. I changed feed elevators last year and the one I am with is top notch. I only buy feed once a week and use it all, so it isn't sitting around or getting wet. I am going to clean their pen tomorrow and use fresh bedding. It is about time to change it just because, but it isn't bad. I am certain the cold weather that moved in last week is part of this problem, but not what is at the root of it. I have a couple hundred birds and these are the only ones that are having this problem this bad. I do have a couple in a pen two down from them that I decided to treat because I heard a couple of sneezes, but they are nothing like the Cornish pen is. I have some BLR project birds I hatched the same time in with them and they are uneffected. So, it is really just localized to this one pen. I have two pens of DCs, one inside the big house and one that is a tractor that is closed up and using for the other until I finish up some smaller coops for winter. I have about 13 breeds plus a few projects and oddballs. If it were a feed issue, I would be seeing it in the whole flock. When I butchered them, I looked at the lungs and they were definitely full of infection. I didn't even keep the backs and cut off the breasts and put them away boneless. It is just sad more than anything. It was just those two cockerels that turned purple like that and died. Even the worst looking of the pullets doesn't look nearly as bad as they did.
Tomorrow is another day and hopefully I will get this cleared up and be able to have a good number of breeders for the new hatch season when I am done.
If anyone knows of something besides Tylan to use for this, I will be using the injectable for another day or two, but I will need to get a new bottle. I find that Duramycin is completely ineffective on this stuff.
Ireally never figured out what happenned to my bird but assmed he got moldy feed because I found mold in a bag I bought. Tylan works best in my experience. It was really cold when my rooster died also as I remember.

Hope you get it fixed sooner than later, sucks losing a real nice bird.

Miniechickenmama, Of your flocks, are the cornish the only hard feather breed? I think they would use more calories/energy to maintain normal body heat, even more to fight an infection than the fluffy soft feathered birds. Just a thought?

My young ones were beating the **** out of my Houdans and Crevecours. I had to separate them. And for what it is worth, my Cornish are deadly on mice.

Interesting as they were beating up on my polish pretty bad.. And a frizzle. I did end up separating them tonight into a different pen. It wasn't just them but my Banty white rock that rules the roost.

Murphy strikes again.
So, I started treating my juvie pen of DCs 2 days ago for sneezing and coughing. I gave them Tylan soluable since I noticed a few of them doing this.
Today I went out and it was worse, so I was going to treat them all orally with injectable after doing chores. I got the feeding done and started watering. I got to said pen just in time to see my best cockerel (I had just finished culling all extras and not good enough to breed birds last week before Thanksgiving), flip over and die on the spot.
I look in the corner and here is the other fella turning purple. Within a few minutes, he was flipping over too. I picked him up and he died in my arms.
I think whatever they had has been exacerbated by the fact that we have been down to about 10-15 degrees (F) the last couple of nights and my coop is an open air type. I have a pen outside that is very open too and all of those are fine, so I think somebody caught something and they shared it in that pen. Funny thing though is that none of the birds directly next to them are effected at all, so I am stumped.
Even though I used the Tylan, I went ahead and butchered them. The withholding is only one day on the injectable, so I think I am safe after over 24-hours with the soluable. I wasn't about to let two birds that probably dressed over 5-pounds go to waste. What really p***es me off is that they were such darn good birds!!!
Once again, Murphy's Law of Animal Husbandry strikes at my farm.
Sorry you're having the losses.

Back
Top Bottom