Cornish Thread

Pics
I thought I would post here a question, is anyone going to the Stockton show who may have some decent LF DC for sale. I am most likely bringing a few birds to sell myself. There were not many LF DC last year and I am hoping someone may know if there will be some available this year.

This is one of my bantam dark males.
s
Do you sell eggs?

I thought I would post here a question, is anyone going to the Stockton show who may have some decent LF DC for sale. I am most likely bringing a few birds to sell myself. There were not many LF DC last year and I am hoping someone may know if there will be some available this year.
We might have a couple that we are going to bring with us, I have not yet decided though. we have 4pair left of this years hatch and have not decided what we are going to keep they are quite young (July Hatch).

Sorry to hear this. So often the birds you have plans for seem to be to one a hawk takes a particular interest in, or don't make to the breeding pen for whatever reason.

As to the respiratory issue, going through a similiar issue with my young birds. Just about finished with a course of Gallimycin, and Pennchlor, per suggestion of Victor of Twin City Poultry Supplies. Mine started when high wind took the turbine vent off the coop a few weeks back, combined with more birds than I usually carry this late in the year, resulting in too humid conditions. Started with a few birds getting a slight rattle, and a few looking a little ruffled. Have a new vent on coop now, and conditions much improved. Victor said seems with the weather this year, it was a common problem. Anyway, why I started this ramble, I did loose a couple birds, two pure white Cornish cockerels, out of Dad's good birds. This leaves me with one cockerel and a couple pullets. Out of all the birds in that coop, many who showed no sign of any kind, I thought it interesting that the pure Cornish took the worst, and the project cornish seems to be somewhat more affected than the Brahmas.
A friend of mine and I call our good ones "Murphy" after Murphy's Law.
Yeah, my project based Cornish from your dad held out better than the pures and they were all in the same pen. I don't have a problem with ventilation, just the crap weather we had where it would go from hot to cold and back and forth. We changed 40-50 degrees difference between one day and the next a couple of times, then over one weekend it got really damp and foggy and that was right when that all started. I highly recommend either Tylan 50 injectable down the throat for 3-4 days, or the powder form mixed in their water for that long for mild cases. I have used Denagard but I find the Tylan is quicker acting administer orally. I used both on some just to try getting it knocked out for certain. The funny thing was, the turkeys were uneffected with this last round.
Everyone is doing better now and I will P/T test for the new year and try getting my NPIP number to get things rolling here.
I have to laugh because as cold as it is here, I am getting eggs out of my Cornish pen, and they are in a tractor that got quite a bit of snow in it last week. I guess pampering them isn't the way to go
lol.png
. I have a few eggs in the bator to test fertility on some of the pens that are laying. I candled the first batch last night and they are looking great!

If I don't get back on here before, you all have a Happy New Year!
Theri

I may be starting an argument. But I would also like some information to possibly set myself in the right direction.
I have many different breeds of Asils or Asells how ever you want to spell it.
Now I would like to know if the Asil and the Idian Game are considered the same. As the Asil chicken has been around for many years. Like 3000. The Asil is a very Game chicken for its size. And what ever else was bred into the Cornish to give it the double breast. It is very hard to say. Some say the white Maylay. But we are talking many years ago.
I have had the Herring strains of Bantams and his Large Dark cornish. But I lost them due to a for things.
But now I have some W L Reds

I picked up these W L Reds. That have alot of black feathers. I am sure they where culls. But color is not that important at this time. As I want to make my own backyard broilers. I bred my Dark cockerals to Black Austrolop hens. And to 1/2 Black Austrolop 1/2 Buff hens and I will post pictures of them. These of course are not any fast growing or fast feathered as most of the industry type are. Also bred the Wl Red or Jubilee cocks to R I Reds. And what I got was some white tailed Red. Pea comb but some good size birds.
So that is a little about what I am doing. This breeding season I will try those W L Red cocks on White Rock hens and Rhode Island Red hens. As I am trying to make a feather sex-able Cornish. Both dominante for silver and also a Red cornish. Which will or should be dominant for the gold gene.
This will not be easy. But I have thought about it and did many hours of research on line.
Any questions or suggestions would be great.....Thanks.... Nick

Welcome to the new comers to this thread. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your birds NJNick.

Theri, I.m sorry that you are again a victim of Murphy's law. I don't know if the offer is of any help, but if you can figure out a way to get him to you, I have a spare, double blue laced red cockerel that you can have. In my opinion he is pretty good quality as far as Cornish type. [Possibly could be brought to a show or somewhere near you if you know of someone traveling................. as you know I will not be free to travel much this winter, even if I had gas money, due to my daily trips to the hospital.] I should have a few eggs for shipment next spring, but these will be from double laced and don't know if you're trying for single laced. Evidently my birds are pretty hardy; they live year 'round in chicken tractors with only an open front shelter to get out of the weather in. I had no sick birds show up even after the recent blizzard blew a pen over on its side while I was gone for several hours, hauling my mother back from her doctor's appointment and the storm making a 45 minute trip turn into a 4 hour one................................ but I was able to get home and and found they needed rescued even though I drove by many wrecks and vehicles stranded in drifts. [Tow trucks were ordered not to go out; stranded motorists were hauled to motels or warming centers. At one point I saw the semi in front of me forced to stop by some jack knifed in front him. The wind was strong enough to blow him sideways off the road and into another stranded semi after he had stopped.]

I will try to contact you about him. What I really need is the white or dark or W L Reds or even or Jubilees. As I have talked to a few guys on here. But there prices seemed very high.
I also have many Orientals and Heavy breeds. The araucanas. Some Cubans and Spanish.
Just to name a few. Over 200 birds. And have about 50 pens.
So let me know if you or someone else has the ones I am looking for.
Sorry about all the problems and sounds like you have lots of snow to deal with.
Send me a private message if you or anyone wants to talk chickens....Nick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom