Cornish Thread

Pics
First, Cornish are so breasty, they are just bustin' out! I does have to do with the size of the breast, but is also a trait that is bred into them, to have that split in the feathering along the keel.

My Cornish are and always have been pretty quiet, even the hatchery roo I had here for 2 1/2 years and was the top of the pecking order of lots of birds in the pasture. When they do crow, I don't find them to be really loud either, but then again, I have about 20+ roos and I don't really mind listening to them

I've looked closely at chicks feathering out and birds in hard molt. It seems their feathers don't really grow on every inch of skin, but rather in strips. One strip on each side of the breast, a strip on each side, and a strip down the back. Cornish breasts are so wide, that the bald spot in the middle of the breast shows.

At least that's my take.

Does any one know where I can get some standard cornish eggs? I am really interested in them. I wanna find a good breeder instead of ordering hatchery stock.
I have them when they are laying. I post an ad on BYC when I have a surplus. I am one of the few who offer eggs from quality stock. My lines are from breeders with show winning stock.

Well, I wondered if my Splash Laced roo would make it through winter. He was starting to look rough when the flock was having respiratory issues but he made it through that ordeal, but the single digit nights did him in this week. I think I have enough DCs and a handful of WLRs to keep me busy for a while, so I will have to forego the Blue Laced Projects for now. :(

This is one of my bantam dark males.
s

Well, I wondered if my Splash Laced roo would make it through winter. He was starting to look rough when the flock was having respiratory issues but he made it through that ordeal, but the single digit nights did him in this week. I think I have enough DCs and a handful of WLRs to keep me busy for a while, so I will have to forego the Blue Laced Projects for now. :(
Sorry to hear this. So often the birds you have plans for seem to be to one a hawk takes a particular interest in, or don't make to the breeding pen for whatever reason.

As to the respiratory issue, going through a similiar issue with my young birds. Just about finished with a course of Gallimycin, and Pennchlor, per suggestion of Victor of Twin City Poultry Supplies. Mine started when high wind took the turbine vent off the coop a few weeks back, combined with more birds than I usually carry this late in the year, resulting in too humid conditions. Started with a few birds getting a slight rattle, and a few looking a little ruffled. Have a new vent on coop now, and conditions much improved. Victor said seems with the weather this year, it was a common problem. Anyway, why I started this ramble, I did loose a couple birds, two pure white Cornish cockerels, out of Dad's good birds. This leaves me with one cockerel and a couple pullets. Out of all the birds in that coop, many who showed no sign of any kind, I thought it interesting that the pure Cornish took the worst, and the project cornish seems to be somewhat more affected than the Brahmas.

Back
Top Bottom