Cornish Thread

From my own experience, which isn't by any means extensive, any breed can be a killer when it comes to other roosters. But most non game types from breeders are culled for bad personalities. Cornish is a game type. So I suppose I"m guilty of assumpton. My black Orpington boy would rip another rooster to pieces till it ran. And many breeds will do the same. Difference with LF and bantam cornish is, they are solid, pure, muscle. That's where the meat is on them, after all! Muscle. I'd simply exercise caution. It's warranted with any breed at all, but I'd imagine more so with a nice Cornish. I could be wrong. I know nearly anyone else on this thread knows more than I do about the subject so I'll leave it to them to correct me.

So far as "how aggressive are they" it depends if you mean "to humans" or "to other chickens." Cause that black I had? He was a complete baby to humans and to any females. Just don't, and I mean don't, let another male around him.

Last edited:
Most DC roos get along, it is when you change something like move one out and then move him back they will fight or move them to a new pen you should watch them. I recently went to a show with one of my roos and he showed no aggression at all to the roo next to him unlike some other roos at that show.

Congratulations, chickened.

I just placed 4 bantam cornish eggs under a broody bantam. Happy for the opportunity to strengthen the numbers a little, as I only have a trio presently. With only 1 pullet laying, lucky to have those.

Has anyone else had some sad looking birds with this last round of subfreezing cold?

Thanks. I actually got a tri of dark bantams and a pair of write bantams at the show. It doesn't get real cold here but older birds do suffer in the winter here as well. I did lose my old hen that is the mother to so many of my birds this winter (stroke) which was very sad for me.

From my own experience, which isn't by any means extensive, any breed can be a killer when it comes to other roosters. But most non game types from breeders are culled for bad personalities. Cornish is a game type. So I suppose I"m guilty of assumpton. My black Orpington boy would rip another rooster to pieces till it ran. And many breeds will do the same. Difference with LF and bantam cornish is, they are solid, pure, muscle. That's where the meat is on them, after all! Muscle. I'd simply exercise caution. It's warranted with any breed at all, but I'd imagine more so with a nice Cornish. I could be wrong. I know nearly anyone else on this thread knows more than I do about the subject so I'll leave it to them to correct me.

So far as "how aggressive are they" it depends if you mean "to humans" or "to other chickens." Cause that black I had? He was a complete baby to humans and to any females. Just don't, and I mean don't, let another male around him.

I have a Dark Cornish bantam rooster. He is the sweetest rooster. You can pick him up and pet him and he is great to his hens. When another rooster comes near him it is a different story. He goes into terminator mode. No rooster I have messes with him. I had a large fowl Black Langshan Cockerel that I was selling and had no where to put him. I had just got the Cornish rooster about a week before and had him in a pen by himself. I put the Langshan cockerel in with him. The Langshan was 4 times his size. Before I knew it that little cornish rooster was all over that langshan. The langshan was all bloody from that small roosters attack. The langshan was 4 times the size of the cornish and couldn't fight back because the cornish was so fast. After that fight my Cornish bantam got his name. It is now Rocky.
Mark

Hello!

I have had a small flock of Dark Cornish, nothing spectacular, that I hatched from eggs off eBay. The seller used hatchery hens under some roos that were culls from an exhibition flock. Out of 13 eggs, 12 hatched and all but 3 were cockerals...lol. We sent all but three boys to camp Kenmore last year and man are they wonderful roasters. I love these big burly birds both in the flock and on the table.

One of the roos, Log follows me everywhere I go outside. Out of 130 chickens, he is by far the friendliest bird out there. Although I have told myself time and time again...no pets, he seems determined to earn that designation.

Here are my current Darks who are just over a year old: Sorry about the picture quality on a couple of the pics...that guy just would not hold still. I guess he is camera shy.

Brick and one of the hens hiding in the corner of the breeding pen. I have 3 hens and one has nice thick legs that have good distance between them: The other two are not as big and have skinnier, closer set legs.

Brick again. He has the best frame of the three roosters I have right now.

This is my fella Log. I weighed him last night and he was 8.8lbs.

Here are two of the guys who went to freezer camp. Half the birds have nice yellow legs and the other half have the washed out looking leg color. All the cockerals that hatched except Brick, pictured above have longer legs.

On a better note, I purchased a dozen WL Red eggs from a flock in Florida: They were mailed out this morning. Since they are relatively close, I am hoping for minimal shipping damage. Here is one of the seller's Roos...He has some REALLY nice LF Dark's but isn't selling eggs, chicks or anything from them right now. The WLR were all he had available.

I also ordered some eggs from Frank Reese's Cornish (Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch). I told him to give me a mix of dark and WL Red, so we will see what I end up with. I couldn't be more eggcited!

Last edited:
Hello!

I have had a small flock of Dark Cornish, nothing spectacular, that I hatched from eggs off eBay. The seller used hatchery hens under some roos that were culls from an exhibition flock. Out of 13 eggs, 12 hatched and all but 3 were cockerals...lol. We sent all but three boys to camp Kenmore last year and man are they wonderful roasters. I love these big burly birds both in the flock and on the table.

One of the roos, Log follows me everywhere I go outside. Out of 130 chickens, he is by far the friendliest bird out there. Although I have told myself time and time again...no pets, he seems determined to earn that designation.

Here are my current Darks who are just over a year old: Sorry about the picture quality on a couple of the pics...that guy just would not hold still. I guess he is camera shy.

Brick and one of the hens hiding in the corner of the breeding pen. I have 3 hens and one has nice thick legs that have good distance between them: The other two are not as big and have skinnier, closer set legs.

Brick again. He has the best frame of the three roosters I have right now.

This is my fella Log. I weighed him last night and he was 8.8lbs.

Here are two of the guys who went to freezer camp. Half the birds have nice yellow legs and the other half have the washed out looking leg color. All the cockerals that hatched except Brick, pictured above have longer legs.

On a better note, I purchased a dozen WL Red eggs from a flock in Florida: They were mailed out this morning. Since they are relatively close, I am hoping for minimal shipping damage. Here is one of the seller's Roos...He has some REALLY nice LF Dark's but isn't selling eggs, chicks or anything from them right now. The WLR were all he had available.

I also ordered some eggs from Frank Reese's Cornish (Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch). I told him to give me a mix of dark and WL Red, so we will see what I end up with. I couldn't be more eggcited!
I agree about the good personalities of these birds! I love that BLR's coloring... but sheesh - - those scaly leg mites look to be in a pretty advanced stage. My girl Tanker had the same issue when I got her. I've been treating her ever since and she's had to stay in quarantine. Luckily they don't transfer through eggs.

Back
Top Bottom