Cornish Thread

Can I be so bold as to inquire why you would want to breed a LF brahma to a Silkie, there could be several issues here but........... hey to each is own, Just wondering.

I posted this on the cochin thread but I started thinking this would be a better place for what I need. Here's what I put: Do any of you guys do artificial insemination with your chickens? I'm trying to breed a LF brahma to a silkie but they are too big for the little silkie hen. I tried doing it but apparently I don't know what I am doing. I can't get the males stuff. I need to know what technique to use. So if any of you guys do this please share with me how to go about this.

This video shows how. It is actually very easy most people think they are going to hurt them and do not squeeze enough. There are other methods.

So, I just inherited a trio of Large Fowl WL Red Cornish over the weekend. One of the hens has great leg color and they are all around 9-10 months old. I couldn't get that great of pictures since they are in their own pen and camera shy.

Here they are:

It is amazing how much larger and wider these are than the LF Dark's I have been able to get so far. Here are a couple photos of my Dark Cockerals: I can't ever get good pictures of the hens....they are quick!

The top guy is Log. His legs are too long and close set plus not yellow enough. He was 11 months as pictured and 8.8 pounds.

This is Brick. His legs are shorter and wider set, but still too close. His leg color is much better than the first roos. I have one hen whose legs are not too close and have decent color, but she also has the worst lacing. I am going to keep working at them though. At least with this breed, the culls make really good roasters!

Brick from behind. Stance not nearly wide enough, but the best of the three that I have now. I couldn't get pictures of Block...he doesn't like the camera. Sadly, that one weighs the most and has the best leg color, but also the longest legs out there!

Anyway, just thought I would share.

Last edited:
I haven't had my Cornish bantams long enough to understand the breed. So I have a question. I have one pullet that can't seem to tolerate the cold. My others do fine but she looks like she's going to die if she doesn't get warmed up. I have a 100W bulb hanging close over the perch for her to warm herself but it doesn't seem to help. She still gets so cold she stops eating. If I bring her in the house to warm up a day or two, she's fine. She isn't sick, per se. Is this a normal occurance with the breed? Thank you.

. My DC cock won bb bv and reserve of class at Monroe

I haven't had my Cornish bantams long enough to understand the breed. So I have a question. I have one pullet that can't seem to tolerate the cold. My others do fine but she looks like she's going to die if she doesn't get warmed up. I have a 100W bulb hanging close over the perch for her to warm herself but it doesn't seem to help. She still gets so cold she stops eating. If I bring her in the house to warm up a day or two, she's fine. She isn't sick, per se. Is this a normal occurance with the breed? Thank you.
I would not say it is normal but it happens with old birds occasionally

Congratulations, Chickened!
And thank you for the reply. This is a pullet, under 1 yr, and she has been this way most of the winter. I didn't consider it normal, but I know Cornish have a close fitting feather and could see where they don't tolerate cold as well as some other breeds. I was just wondering if this is something 'normal' to expect from the breed, ie, the better bred they are, the more frequent this occurs. These are fantastic bantams, but I've come to expect hardiness from any breed I raise.
Further comments are welcome.

That is odd for a pullet especially when she quits eating. Mine never have problems with the cold but do not like extreme heat. She may just not like the cold. I have hens that will stay on the roost longer in the mornings than others and I just thought they were like people... some like the warmer days better.

And thank you.

Hello
I was talking to my partner in this hobby or passion or addiction. With chickens. And we both have talked about breeding the Silkie and Cornish. How can this be done. And what results will we get.
Well the end product would be a large dark meat bird. Which most can sell as a pheasant. I really do not seeing the dark skin and meat breeding on. But thru selection it is possible.
And like all industry conversations about the Cornish X. It is very secret. So what answers we get. Are mostly on this site. And others like it.
I am open for any replys on this....Thanks.....Nick

Hello
I was talking to my partner in this hobby or passion or addiction. With chickens. And we both have talked about breeding the Silkie and Cornish. How can this be done. And what results will we get.
Well the end product would be a large dark meat bird. Which most can sell as a pheasant. I really do not seeing the dark skin and meat breeding on. But thru selection it is possible.
And like all industry conversations about the Cornish X. It is very secret. So what answers we get. Are mostly on this site. And others like it.
I am open for any replys on this....Thanks.....Nick
For the Asian market-- most are using Cornish bantams over silkie hens...

My LF Cornish cover my Silkie hens very well--- and produce a quite a bit meatier bird. This is not an intential mating-- as my silkies are only here for incubators-- but during dry spells- I did use their eggs for fillers...

For that matter- the Cornish male I used was the BLR, very Braham appearing cock from the Big Med project... I would guess that a LF Brahma, wouldn't be much bigger-- if at all bigger-- I suppose only Big Med would know. Personally, I don't see it being a problem enough that it would need to be AI'd.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom