Cornish Thread

Hello everyone i just purcahsed two cornish cross white birds about a week old i heard somewere you have to feed them different than other chickens .....is this true?????

Heather this forum is standard Cornish which is different from Cornish cross (there's probably a better thread just on Cornish cross)
I have had those crosses and people will restrict feed to 3 times a day or restrict feed to avoid legs breaking, ascities, and leg problems. I even had one gorge itself so much that it either had a heart attack or choked itself. They say to give them water before food so maybe that's what happened in my case. It are all the food then drank water- and it swelled up.... Ugh..

You should also try to keep them separate because of this and also so that they don't eat every last bit of food and starve the other normal chicks with them. They are food "zombies" and will trample other chicks just to get to food in a hurry. All they wanna do is eat and crap, and u will be happy when they are ready to be processesed. :) maybe not- but this is my experience.
They do make a good eating bird tho!! U can't beat the feed conversion and a lazy bird makes for a tender fat bird.

You should pursue standard Cornish (like us) though if u ever decide they are too crazy for u and want a normal beautiful threatened bird that u can eat too in a longer amt of time.

Yeah i dont think i will do the cross again it just seems to much of a hassle i dont mind a regular size carcass but i do want to start a meat flock that can sustain its self we been holding off trying to see what the best fit would be what is your experience with them

?? Anybody?? :). http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=301219877093

(Edited to add new link- the original one expired...) :)

I actually looked at those too... But the breasts don't look as big as regular large fowl Cornish... I think the body type looks slender for Cornish. Just my opinion.
They would probably lay well.. Seems like the Cornish lacking the thick body style like his- end up laying better than the meat types. They would be like a white rock or any other dual purpose when u eat it.... I like thick bulldog Cornish because they have big breast meat and look neat, and I'm trying to continue the APA standard because there's hardly none left it seems like...

U just gotta try stuff and see what u like ;)
I have some not so thick Cornish myself and they are still pretty- people like them- and they lay well... I'm gunna ditch them when my thicker Cornish flock grows up.
They wouldn't be bad birds tho by any means. Just far away from the standard Cornish I think.

Thank you for the response, biology nerd! That is what I was afraid of. I am not really looking at the Cornish chickens for eggs but for body type. Like you, I want to find some with the thick stocky Cornish body .

Greetings, I have been trying to figure out some of the breeds of our birds. Someone directed me to this thread and think we might have some Cornish girls. I was thinking they were Barnevelder's but now am not sure. Their feathers have a purplish tint to them in the sun, a dark purple. Any help would be appreciated. They are 12-13 weeks in these pics, part of the Rainbow pack from Meyer.

Thanks for your time!

When considering coming from a hatchery- they might be 'cornish', but are very poor examples in terms of breed charactor.

Back
Top Bottom