Cornish Thread

When considering coming from a hatchery- they might be 'cornish', but are very poor examples in terms of breed charactor.  
Kfacres thanks, here are a couple better pictures. Just trying to ID our birds is all as far as breeds. As long as she is productive in her egg laying we don't really care how they look.

Hi me again, hopefully people are still watching this thread. Ok so I have better pictures of our thought to believe a dark Cornish. Any help would be great, just trying to id a few of our girls and boys. Thanks for looking!

Dark Cornish Hen #1

Possible - Dark Cornish hen or cockerel, hard to tell

While not to seem entirely brash, but while the birds you are posting 'might' be 'colored' (kind of) similar to a Cornish- and they might have been sold through a hatchery as a 'Cornish'... The birds you have, really are not 'Cornish'.

In order to be part of a gene pool- which makes up a 'breed'- the birds should come relitively close to meeting the breed standard.

The bird pictured above- is a Cornish cock at right at a year old. That is Cornish type, and color pattern.

In the picture below- you'll see a pair of offspring of the above bird. They would also be roughly a year old in that picture

Edited: because I accidentally attached the wrong picture!

Last edited:
While not to seem entirely brash, but while the birds you are posting 'might' be 'colored' (kind of) similar to a Cornish- and they might have been sold through a hatchery as a 'Cornish'... The birds you have, really are not 'Cornish'. In order to be part of a gene pool- which makes up a 'breed'- the birds should come relitively close to meeting the breed standard. The bird pictured above- is a Cornish cock at right at a year old. That is Cornish type, and color pattern. In the picture below- you'll see a pair of offspring of the above bird. They would also be roughly a year old in that picture Hey no worries about the brash thingy, I get what your saying. They don't fit the breed standard, which is fine. I don't really care. As not a breeder, nor do I intend to be. Got them for eggs. Was just trying to id our pullets from a rainbow pack. Thanks for the response and your birds are pretty. Edited: because I accidentally attached the wrong picture!

My point is, Personally, I would have a problem calling them anything (this goes for your other birds as well). If this bird doesn't fit the bill to be a 'cornish'- then it needs to be called a 'mutt'. Doesn't matter if it's a sorry looking Cornish or not. Or, I guess the proper way would be to call it a non- Cornish looking, Cornish.

Hi me again, hopefully people are still watching this thread. Ok so I have better pictures of our thought to believe a dark Cornish. Any help would be great, just trying to id a few of our girls and boys. Thanks for looking!

Dark Cornish Hen #1

Possible - Dark Cornish hen or cockerel, hard to tell

Your birds are what most of us breeders would refer to as hatchery type Dark Cornish. Like most big hatchery birds, they don't fit the standard very well in body type, however, they may be decent egg layers. My first hens were 8 Dark Cornish from Welp Hatchery in Iowa. They were pretty and they laid very well, which is unlike a well-bred Cornish, who are somewhat poor layers. I see one has a single comb, which is something that pops up often when you start getting into hatchery type birds also is incorrect comb type or leg color or things like that. If all you are looking for is egg layers, then you may enjoy them. Good luck with them!

Your birds are what most of us breeders would refer to as hatchery type Dark Cornish.  Like most big hatchery birds, they don't fit the standard very well in body type, however, they may be decent egg layers.  My first hens were 8 Dark Cornish from Welp Hatchery in Iowa.  They were pretty and they laid very well, which is unlike a well-bred Cornish, who are somewhat poor layers.  I see one has a single comb, which is something that pops up often when you start getting into hatchery type birds also is incorrect comb type or leg color or things like that.  If all you are looking for is egg layers, then you may enjoy them.  Good luck with them!
thank you for your informative post, we got them for egg layers so we don't really care about breed standards much thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom