Cornish Thread

Unfortunately my dark cornish all have willow coloured feet. I'd like the yellow legs and pearl eyes in my flock- is it true that the hatchery cornish do have pearl eyes?
It would be very interesting to compare the production of hatchery cornish to the exhibition- I don't think I've seen any photos of dressed pure cornish, hatchery or exhibition. Must be too valuable to eat
wink.png
I have heard that the hatchery cornish are pretty good egg layers.

Last edited:
JRN do you know for sure if there's leghorn in the hatchery dark cornish? I think the ones in Canada come from Ideal. If so, I'll order some for a little project breeding I have in mind.
Has anyone crossed dark with white cornish? I was wondering if that might invigorate a line without destroying the Cornish characteristics. I'd expect some white feathers popping up from that cross but it wouldn't be as bad as crossing with another breed.

I have 4 Cornish cross, about 9 weeks old. I know I should just butcher them, and I might yet, but was going to try to keep them for layers. I have about 4 acre property I let my hens free range. I just started turning the Cornish cross out. They will not move very far from the coop, I know they cannot be finding enough food in the little area they are hunting. I have to actually close the coop door or they would spend the entire day laying in the barn. I do not give them any feed until evening, trying to make them range.
They are young, will they get bolder as they get more accustomed to their environment? Or have they just been bred to be lazy?

Back
Top Bottom