Cornish Thread

Cornish eggs in general are very small, and actually almost perfectly round.

If you are expecting large, or jumbo eggs, better find something new to expect. I don't see what the size of the egg has to do with anything in the Cornish breed, obviously nobody else has either and that's why they still are small egged.

I recognize that cornish are a meat breed, and eggs are an afterthought- but still I wonder what's the best they might be capable of. From what I understand, the cornish x lay a very large egg, if they make it to adulthood. Of course the "best" solution is to have a meat breed and an egg laying breed and keep the two expectations and breeds separate. Even so I'd expect healthier cornish chicks to hatch from a 55 gram egg than a 45 gram egg- am I wrong?

I recognize that cornish are a meat breed, and eggs are an afterthought- but still I wonder what's the best they might be capable of. From what I understand, the cornish x lay a very large egg, if they make it to adulthood. Of course the "best" solution is to have a meat breed and an egg laying breed and keep the two expectations and breeds separate. Even so I'd expect healthier cornish chicks to hatch from a 55 gram egg than a 45 gram egg- am I wrong?

I'm not so sure that it's not far more related to physiology rather than health of the bird but good health is a mitigating factor, with out doubt.

You have confused the fact that Cornish and Cornish rock butcher birds are related genetically. They are, but it's no closer than humans are from Adam and eve.

I too agree that the skeletal makeup of Cornish is the limiting factor. Typically in other species heavy muscled is linked with a narrow pelvis.

Last edited:
I didn't read in depth on the other states just skimmed the site.
I guess I might have to do a word search for the shipping of eggs; there is no mention below.

II. Interstate (Poultry moved into the state from other states)

A. Any livestock, poultry or ratites that are infected, exposed or quarantined in any manner for an infectious, contagious or communicable disease may not enter the state. Contact TAHC at 1-800-550-8242.

B. Entry Requirements for Live Domestic Poultry from Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Affected States
1. Avian Influenza negative test results with 72 hours of entry by either of the following methods: a. A minimum of 30 birds per flock are serologically negative to an ELISA or AGID test for Avian Influenza (individual tests are required if shipment is less than 30 birds.), or b. A minimum of 10 birds (e.g., two pools of 5 birds per house) are tested negative on tracheal swabs to a RRT-PCR test (Individual test are required if shipment is less than 10 birds.).
2. A certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) listing the general description of the birds, test date, test results and name of testing laboratory. The CVI should include a statement that reads, “These birds have not originated from an area or a flock where High Pathogenic Avian Influenza Avian Influenza is known to exist.”
3. Specific permission must be granted by the Commission prior to entry. Request can be made by calling 1-800-550-8242, Ext. 77 or fax a request to the TAHC Permits Department with the A.I. test documents and CVI to 512-719-0729.
4. Exceptions to these requirements are baby poultry which have not been fed or watered if from a National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) Avian Influenza clean or equivalent hatchery, and accompanied by NPIP Form 9-3 or Animal and Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Form 17-6, or have an approved “Commuter Poultry Flock Agreement” on file with the state of origin and the Commission.

C. An owner-shipper statement may be used in lieu of a certificate of veterinary inspection in some instances.
1. Poultry delivered to slaughter by the owner or consigned there and accompanied by an owner-shipper statement.

D. Entry permits are required as noted in the following section and may be obtained by calling 512/719-0777 (24 hours) or 1-800-550-8242, ext. 777 or by writing the Texas Animal Health Commission, 2105 Kramer Lane, P. O. Box 12966, Austin, Texas 78711-2966.

E. Entry Requirements for Poultry
1. Certificate of Veterinary Inspection required within 30 days prior to entry.
a. The certificate should state that the poultry have been vaccinated only with USDA and TAHC approved vaccines. (Contact TAHC for a list of approved vaccines.) Current as of August 26, 2015 Page 1 of 2 Current as of October 28, 2015 Page 1 of 2 1) No modified live virus chick embryo origin Laryngotracheitis (LT) vaccine and no modified live virus mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) attenuated vaccine may be used on poultry entering the State.
b. The certificate should state that the poultry have not originated from an area that has had active Laryngotracheitis within the last 30 days.
2. An entry permit is required within 15 days prior to entry. Exceptions to the permit:
a. Poultry delivered to a slaughter establishment (which maintains federal postmortem inspection) by the owner; or
b. Poultry delivered to a slaughter establishment and consigned there and accompanied by an owner-shipper statement indicating the plant of destination
3. Live domestic poultry, except those entering for slaughter and processing at a slaughter facility owned or operated by the owner of the poultry entering, may enter Texas only under the following circumstances:
a. Originate from a flock that is certified as Avian Influenza clean in accordance with the National Poultry Improvement Plan; or
b. Originate from an Avian Influenza negative flock that participates in an approved state-sponsored Avian Influenza monitoring program; or
c. Originate from a flock in which a minimum of 30 birds, 4 weeks of age or older, or the complete flock, if fewer than 30, are serologically negative to an Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) or Agar Gel Immunodiffusion (AGID) test for Avian Influenza within 30 days of entry or a minimum of 10 birds (e.g. two pools of 5 birds per house) are tested negative on trachea swabs to a real-time reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RRT-PCR) test within 30 days of entry or negative to other tests approved by the Commission.
d. Live domestic poultry from states affected with Avian Influenza may enter Texas for slaughter and processing only under the following circumstances: A minimum of 30 birds per flock are serologically negative to an ELISA or AGID test for Avian Influenza within 72 hours of entry, or a minimum of 10 birds (e.g., two pools of 5 birds per house) are tested negative on tracheal swabs to a RRT-PCR test within 72 hours of entry or negative to other tests approved by the TAHC, and specific written permission has been granted.
e. Live domestic poultry broilers from states affected with Infectious Laryngotracheitis and vaccinated with chick embryo vaccine may enter Texas for immediate slaughter and processing only under the following conditions:
1) The request for authorization must be in writing and shall include a proposed route to slaughter that would not pose a disease risk to Texas poultry.
2) The initial request must be approved by the Executive Director prior to entry.
3) All shipments qualifying for entry shall have an entry permit and documentation of the origin of the shipment.
4. A negative pullorum-typhoid test is required within 30 days prior to entry or poultry must originate from flocks that meet either the Texas Pullorum-Typhoid Program and/or the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP).
5. Baby poultry are exempt from these requirements if from a NPIP or equivalent hatchery and accompanied by a NPIP VS Form 9-3 or an APHIS Form 17-6; or, are covered by an approved "Commuter Poultry Flock Agreement" on file with the state of origin and the Texas Animal Health Commission.

F. Interstate Poultry Exhibition Requirements
a. Poultry entered in terminal public exhibition shall be accompanied by a certificate of source which identifies the flock of origin.
b. Poultry entered in a non-terminal public exhibition shall be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection which states the poultry:
1) Have been inspected and are free from evidence of infectious or contagious diseases;
2) Have been vaccinated only with approved vaccines;
3) Have not originated from an area that has had an active avian disease within 30 days of entry.
4) must have either a negative flock or individual bird test for Avian Influenza, within 30 days of entry.
5) Have had a negative pullorum-typhoid test within 30 days prior to entry or that the poultry must originate from flocks that meet either the Texas Pullorum-Typhoid Program and/or the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP).

Hello, She is new to the Cornish breed.My Bantams lay a small to medium egg (never a large or jumbo).Wait a few months the eggs will get larger as they get older.Your Buckeyes can lay the big ones for you ,there you go CanadianBuckeye.Mine lay mostly medium.

My LF Dark Cornish hens lay in the range of medium to large eggs. 52.5gm(1.85oz) to 60.2gm.(2.12oz) Large eggs are 2.0 ounces.

Weights below are per dozen.

• Small: 18 ounces (about 1.5 ounce per egg)
  • Medium: 21 ounces (about 1.75 ounce per egg)
  • Large: 24 ounces (about 2 ounces per egg)
  • Extra-Large: 27 ounces (about 2.25 ounces per egg)
  • Jumbo: 30 ounces (about 2.5 ounces per egg)
I haven't found the egg shape to be perfectly round.
Those are nice, I'd be happy with those eggs.

You have confused the fact that Cornish and Cornish rock butcher birds are related genetically. They are, but it's no closer than humans are from Adam and eve.

I too agree that the skeletal makeup of Cornish is the limiting factor. Typically in other species heavy muscled is linked with a narrow pelvis.
I have another question for you. Really I'm not trying to be a smarta** , I'm trying to understand. Aren't the Cornish rock x the quintessential meat bird? If so, how is it that they can lay a huge egg, but the Cornish breed can't? Is the cornish breed structurally very different from the cornish x? Maybe that's my confusion? I've been thinking if the cornish x can, why not the pure cornish.

Or, maybe the cornish x can't - Does laying that huge egg eventually kill the cornish rock x, if it doesn't die from something else? (I know that it's a terminal cross in that they have very short lifespans- but I do read that some people have been successful keeping them to laying age).

Back
Top Bottom