Cornish Thread

I have another question for you. Really I'm not trying to be a smarta** , I'm trying to understand. Aren't the Cornish rock x the quintessential meat bird? If so, how is it that they can lay a huge egg, but the Cornish breed can't? Is the cornish breed structurally very different from the cornish x? Maybe that's my confusion? I've been thinking if the cornish x can, why not the pure cornish.

Or, maybe the cornish x can't - Does laying that huge egg eventually kill the cornish rock x, if it doesn't die from something else? (I know that it's a terminal cross in that they have very short lifespans- but I do read that some people have been successful keeping them to laying age).
Likewise, these birds aren't bred to lay either. yes, they'll lay large eggs, of course, they'll also lay small ones, and flat ones, and round ones, and double yolked ones, and even triple yolked ones. they'll lay an egg of every shape and size, and every kind of yolk. Most will be infertile, but a few will be fertile, and even fewer viable enough to hatch. Laying these completely different eggs, is what sometimes will kill them from being egg bound.

In my projects using CX birds, I got really poor laying- even poorer than the Cornish. Really erratic laying, eggs of all sizes, shapes, and when the entire thing was over, from the 5 pullets I kept to experiment with, I ended up with 2 cockerels. Those 2 cockerels made the entire thing worthwhile--- but point is... comparing anything to CX laying, or eggs, is really a poor comparison.

I had some corns and I have to say compared to the egg layers they were super messy and a bit disgusting. They grew faster than their feathers so they always had some pink skin showing and they seemed to have problems with their feet. For meat, they are the way to go since they eat a lot and grow fast! But they also poop a lot and don;t have much personality. Makes it easier for butchering time I suppose.

Likewise, these birds aren't bred to lay either. yes, they'll lay large eggs, of course, they'll also lay small ones, and flat ones, and round ones, and double yolked ones, and even triple yolked ones. they'll lay an egg of every shape and size, and every kind of yolk. Most will be infertile, but a few will be fertile, and even fewer viable enough to hatch. Laying these completely different eggs, is what sometimes will kill them from being egg bound.

In my projects using CX birds, I got really poor laying- even poorer than the Cornish. Really erratic laying, eggs of all sizes, shapes, and when the entire thing was over, from the 5 pullets I kept to experiment with, I ended up with 2 cockerels. Those 2 cockerels made the entire thing worthwhile--- but point is... comparing anything to CX laying, or eggs, is really a poor comparison.

I had some corns and I have to say compared to the egg layers they were super messy and a bit disgusting. They grew faster than their feathers so they always had some pink skin showing and they seemed to have problems with their feet. For meat, they are the way to go since they eat a lot and grow fast! But they also poop a lot and don;t have much personality. Makes it easier for butchering time I suppose.

Thanks Kfacres, I didn't know that, I was missing that part of the equation. It all makes sense now.
jdtan, that's what I've heard about the cornish cross- really not meant to live past a few weeks. Still it's interesting how plastic the chicken genome really is.

I wouldn't say plastic... it's taken them 60 years to get this far. Genetic selection is an amazing thing. Nothing else quite like it.

what gets me is that the geneticist say they have in no way reached the full potential for growth and size

Genetic selection at it's finest.

Genetic selection has created these birds, and can continue to 'improve' them further. This is the exact reason why we have miniature Jerseys and Herefords, as well as the original Chianina and Belgium Blue cattle. Exact reasons why we have Jumbo Cortnix Quail too.

Lol well sure, just need to splice in some eel and ostrich genes, and you could get lots bigger
Ridiculous accusations and unrealistic methods.

Genetic selection at it's finest.  

Genetic selection has created  these birds, and can continue to 'improve' them further.  This is the exact reason why we have miniature Jerseys and Herefords, as well as the original Chianina and Belgium Blue cattle.   Exact reasons why we have Jumbo Cortnix Quail too.  

Ridiculous accusations and unrealistic methods.  

It was meant as a joke....

what gets me is that the geneticist say they have in no way reached the full potential for growth and size

I read that the Romans had what they thought were 20 lb chickens- and then there are those California Whites that are supposedly record breaking chickens. Although honestly if I wanted a 20 lb chicken I think Turkeys would be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom