Cornish Thread

lpatelski how did you manage to keep the cornish cross roaster chicks to adulthood? I thought they dropped dead after a couple of months....... ? What is your secret to keeping them alive long enough to reproduce?
That's quite the amazing breeding program  you have there!

I did end processing mine, but my Cornish cross were doing just fine at 4 months, the hens could have lived to adulthood. One of the cockerels did start walking weird, so he probably wasn't long for the world.
But they were free range, and limited feed. I tried not to starve them. but I did force them to search for their food.

Last edited:
lpatelski how did you manage to keep the cornish cross roaster chicks to adulthood? I thought they dropped dead after a couple of months....... ? What is your secret to keeping them alive long enough to reproduce?
That's quite the amazing breeding program you have there!
You need to slow the growth rate by limit feeding. You allow them access to full feed for the first four weeks. I intensively weighed the chicks every other day. I selected the two best doing cockerels and two pullets. At four weeks you weigh the feed out per the weight chart for Broiler breeders and feed the appropriate amount of daily feed. This goes on following the weight/age/feed amounts until 16 weeks of age. At this point they begin to sexually mature and must be slowly increased to a higher amount of feed to mature. The bone structure is there, the frame is there, and most importantly the internal organs do not have to play keep up/catch up. But I still lost both of my cockerels upon maturity. Both died within days of each other. Both died of the same symptoms. Blue comb and gasping. Heart failure due to Roostering at 21 weeks of age. The pullets came through it just fine and started to lay at 23 weeks. One hen just got fatter and fatter. She never did lay many eggs so I culled her and kept the better hen "Betty White".

My Chicks were always heavier/younger than the chart so I just used an approximate age and more so relied on the chick weight/feed ratio. I couldn't do the skip a day, I fed every day. I gave them meal worm treats too. They turned out okay.

Last edited:
That's incredible how small the amount of food is per day! If I'm reading that chart correctly. No wonder they keel over when fed free choice, and I'm curious how many people actually weigh the amount of food they give these birds.

Does anyone know how this correlates to the pure cornish breed? How much food do pure cornish eat free choice per day?
This has gotten me inspired to separate out my Cornish from my other breeds and start weighing birds and measuring feed. Clearly being grouped with lighter breeds fed free choice was a mistake, I wonder if my rooster died because he was too fat.

Thanks lpatelski. !

That's incredible how small the amount of food is per day! If I'm reading that chart correctly. No wonder they keel over when fed free choice, and I'm curious how many people actually weigh the amount of food they give these birds.

Does anyone know how this correlates to the pure cornish breed? How much food do pure cornish eat free choice per day?
This has gotten me inspired to separate out my Cornish from my other breeds and start weighing birds and measuring feed. Clearly being grouped with lighter breeds fed free choice was a mistake, I wonder if my rooster died because he was too fat.

Thanks lpatelski. !

I've noticed that with my Dark Cornish free range that they eat a limited amount of crumbles or pellets free range or not. They devour Fancy scratch. So I give them unlimited amounts of all flock and a can of scratch in the evenings. Half a can on the ground in the day when i'm spoiling them. But I've had chickens that wouldn't eat scratch. One batch (NOT CORNISH) eat one then the next was the opposite.

Okay...so does any ones' Rooster try to sit on eggs after they have been left in the nest box? Today Lavenia laid her egg. She waits for me to arrive. She got up and Redmen thought he'd have a go at setting. I was surprised he was careful enough not to smash the egg. I had to ask him to get up. He did very carefully. Lord I hope he doesn't go broody! I'll never get the eggs.

Last edited:
Okay...so does any ones' Rooster try to sit on eggs after they have been left in the nest box? Today Lavenia laid her egg. She waits for me to arrive. She got up and Redmen though he'd have a go at setting. I was surprised he was careful enough not to smash the egg. I had to ask him to get up. He did very carefully. Lord I hope he doesn't go broody! I'll never get the eggs.

Hope he didnt warm it up too long...Ive used ducks to hatch chicken eggs but never a rooster lol

I have broilers that are 3 weeks and 3 that are 4 weeks. As soon as the weather warms up Im free ranging them and monitoring their diet. Gonna try what you did Lpatelski

I have been working on WLR LF Cornish for 4-years now. I just lost both of my WLR males this last month when the cold hit them hard after scrapping with some other males. I have 4 hens and 2 pullets left and everyone needs work on their lacing, either improving the contrast or getting rid of the double lacing. Yes, I have worked on this by crossing in Darks to improve type on what I started with. I now have two single laced Darks I will try over them to hopefully clean up the pattern.
I must admit, I have thought of giving up the project, but there are so few LF WLR around, I keep on going.

The two cocks are those I lost this winter.

Here are some of the Darks. I don't have good pictures of all of them yet, but hopefully when the weather warms a little I will be able to get them together.
I must say I have been impressed with the number of eggs I have gotten from them since mid-December. The light blew the other day over a couple of pens so they have dropped, but I have seen more of them than any other year at this time. The fertility is all over the place, but there is no rhyme or reason to it. I had one cock who was fertile in January and February and then nothing in March and April. I see activity in the two younger pens from last year's hatch, but I haven't stuck any eggs in the incubator yet, I want to see some bigger eggs from them before I try because they are still pullet eggs I am getting for the most part.

Older group (2-4 yrs)

(2014 hatched)

(2015 hatched)

These two cockerels are the single laced. The one on the left is a definite cull, doesn't meet size depth at all. The other is a very wide bird with good depth, but he has the most awful wedge-shaped comb. However, he will be the one going over the WLR females this year. He was hatched later in the season, around late May or June, so still growing and filling out. As you can tell from the ghost pullet in the one picture these are some nervous birds and I don't handle them a whole lot to calm them unless they are going to show. I missed out showing for the National in Hutchinson, WI along with all the other Cornish breeders in 2015. I just hope that the AI stuff gets handled and doesn't effect the shows any more this year than it has already.

Back
Top Bottom