Cornish Thread

My dad told me about caponizing forever ago. Says his family also used to do it to have a rooster take care of the chicks. Said it kept them from fighting and that he would call them to food much like they call the hens.

one of my dark Cornish went broody on me. she is sitting on a Hodge podge of eggs. including one goose egg. he he see what she thinks about THAT
The ugly duckling. or chickie.
lau.gif

Setting is the #1 reason I switched to Cornish. I've bought so many hens that ALMOST made to laying age then they're all gone. Hopefully as the critters get the hens the others are already setting on a bunch of replacements.

one of my dark Cornish went broody on me. she is sitting on a Hodge podge of eggs. including one goose egg. he he see what she thinks about THAT

CLSranch you need a chicken fort with electricity and all! Here possums get to some. Snakes everynow and then get some eggs. But the guineas have helped a lot. And the geese seem to protect them from predator and from each other. More power to you but if I was losing them at that rate I think I would go insane!
I get about a dozen coons a year and even more possums and several snakes. Got a hawk the other day that hit one of my hens while I was watching them. Still had the rifle on my back from checking the traps. Just bought a new house. The chickens and guineas get moved after I turn the would be barn into a super coop.

My dad told me about caponizing forever ago. Says his family also used to do it to have a rooster take care of the chicks. Said it kept them from fighting and that he would call them to food much like they call the hens.

If I hadn't had a college roommate from Taiwan, I might never have learned to do the procedures.

CLSRanch you got your work cut out if youre starting anew. Good thing is you can build before you get animals and not have to build emergency shelters

Caponizing is neutering a rooster right? How do they do that since their organs are internal, I have only heard of it a few times, would they just pull the organs out and cut and clean?

CLSRanch you got your work cut out if youre starting anew. Good thing is you can build before you get animals and not have to build emergency shelters

I have my 11 Dark Cornish left and guineas and bantams from last years third go round. The problem is having the $$$ to fix the barn witch now has 90% of the roof and no walls. I work on the road so I either have the money or the time, never both. I'm not worried I do make enough to get it done. I just have to have the GF or neighbor's take care of them here until it is done but having to for me or her to drive from old place to new every day to feed chickens. Which gives me a little time to trap at the new place until the new coop is finished. Parts good parts no so much.

Back
Top Bottom