Cornish Thread

CLS ranch, maybe with a bit of selection, you could breed up some very nice meaty looking Cornish in there! I like your random hen. Me personally, I like the hatchery Cornish, I think they have a lot to offer.

Thank you. Those are my hatchery's. I will pick a trio for selective breeding but the rest I hope set. And I can keep what I want, eat or sell what I don't. And I like to eat.

Even if all my other Cornish hens are breed to my RIR roo or my Cornish roo's cover some random hen the roo's will be big enough to eat and the hens will still lay eggs. I don't show so that is one thing I don't have to worry about.

Right, I understand! I remember a time a year or two back I had way too many laying hens and was getting maybe 30 eggs a day. With no front yard or roadside to sell them from I was just using them for target practice on the trees... I may try this procedure next time I I get a mutt hatch.
Yes it's neutering. You make an incision between the ribs about 1" long and go inside with a slotted spoon and scoop out the teste. One incision on each side for newbies like me, although I know many experienced caponizers can reach both testes from one side. I tried that the first few times I did it because I hated cutting the skin twice but I accidentally killed a bird on the table and decided it was worth the extra time and cutting to do the less risky way. It is not something for everyone, I like to think I have a very strong stomach, but Caponizing is something else. Even first aid, stitching/supergluing wounds on birds and such, doesn't compare. But... it is worth the positive outcomes, I love my capons and even my slips are a sight nicer and calmer than my cockerels.

Also... question for everybody... are Black Cornish considered rare? Black Cornish bantams in particular? I can find almost no mentions or photos of them online. As I find myself trying to narrow down the breeds I want to focus on long term... I find Cornish of some type always being on that list. Right now I have my MMH mutts (mostly only here as meat birds and maybe some experimental breeding), my Standard Dark hen of dubious quality (I haven't studied the standard as much as I like too but I'm inclined to think she's not show quality, maybe (?) breeder quality), my Bantam White Laced Red hen (who has a nice thick body but terrible coloring - I'm not even sure she IS WLR, looks like penciling almost!), and my Black Bantam pair (who I think are of pretty good quality). I'm a huge sucker for anything nobody else has, and I love picking up the breeds and varieties that get little or no attention paid to them so I can try to draw newcomers to the breed. I was originally wanting to do WLR, but between the hen's bad color and the fact my cockbird died last month, I think I'm gonna drop those.
Wow, sounds a whole lot more intense than a simple banding of a bull calf, I don't see why large scale businesses would do this just to make the meat more tender.

Wow, sounds a whole lot more intense than a simple banding of a bull calf, I don't see why large scale businesses would do this just to make the meat more tender. 
They dont have to cause the broilers are tender when they harvest them. You sacrifice taste by harvesting young birds but most of them couldnt survive to being roosters. I think Publix sells Capons or they used to

Back
Top Bottom