Cornish Thread

Pics
Quote:
I know there was at least a feeler put out to the Cornish breeders club members about addressing the eye color issue pertaining to the standard, as in possibly changing the standard. Not sure if any thing came of it.

Quote:
I would love to hear others comments as well. from other pictures I have to agree with you on color of the WLR, however as far as body type, what does anyone think?
And on the Standard size, are the feathers just as tight to the body as the bantams are? they seemed fluffier thus my confusion.

[email protected] :

did any of you breed your cornish with something to make there legs stronger

not for any reason but I mixed my DC bantam with a blue orpington roo,,,their son has VERY long legs, but looks very gamey still.
102759_156.jpg

Quote:
I know there was at least a feeler put out to the Cornish breeders club members about addressing the eye color issue pertaining to the standard, as in possibly changing the standard. Not sure if any thing came of it.

It would be nice to see something done about it. I know type should be first followed by color but growing up I was always awe-struck when I saw grandpas cornish with the stunning white eyes. I was just up north judging a fair and lots of nice cornish but they all had reddish bay eyes, the one that had pearl eyes was a hatchery stock WLR pullet that had the type of a plymouth rock and looked like a red sexlink in color (mostly solid white tailed red) but it did have the pearl eyes. I think they said it was an Ideal bird. I pointed out to a breeder of the darks that the hatchery bird has the eyes his birds should have.

[email protected] :

did any of you breed your cornish with something to make there legs stronger

Quality lines of Cornish can be used to thicken the shanks of other breeds, not the other way around, though some Cornish run into breeding problems due to the short shanks and having them set so far apart.​

The Cornish breeders club did circulate a eye color change petition last year but it did not go anywhere as it was just a feel out for the club, they were looking to have the color changed from pearl to Lgt red I have been told by several APA judges that the SOP eye color will not be changed from pearl. Here is an example of the pearl eye that seems so hard to breed into good Cornish, Ground conditions also play a part in Cornish eye color as it can change to pearl if the ground conditions are right.

AL

10364_img_1089.jpg

10364_img_1090.jpg

Quote:
Addressing the lacing issue in WLR's and Darks. Examples of proper lacing, color and patterns.
10364_img_1454.jpg

10364_img_1449.jpg

10364_img_1526.jpg

10364_img_1527.jpg

Not the best pic's of lacing on the darks, gotta get better ones, but you should get the jist.

10364_img_1464.jpg

10364_img_1461.jpg

10364_img_1522.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

It would be nice to see something done about it. I know type should be first followed by color but growing up I was always awe-struck when I saw grandpas cornish with the stunning white eyes. I was just up north judging a fair and lots of nice cornish but they all had reddish bay eyes, the one that had pearl eyes was a hatchery stock WLR pullet that had the type of a plymouth rock and looked like a red sexlink in color (mostly solid white tailed red) but it did have the pearl eyes. I think they said it was an Ideal bird. I pointed out to a breeder of the darks that the hatchery bird has the eyes his birds should have.

I have to agree that the pearl eye looks neat. Is the gene for it a recessive? The closest to it I've seen in my short experince with Cornish is pale yellow, and I suspect that color to be unrelated to the pearl eyes seen on some show games.

Were your grandfather's birds more of the Indian Game type than the over exaggerated, low-rider, looking birds now dominateing the shows? I have to admit the low-riders look kinda neat, but absolutely abhor the fact that modern show Cornish have devolved into a bird that is so limited by its exaggerated form that many can't even cover a hen naturally. I see some with shanks that can best be described as "cankles". I see the standard calls for them is to have large, well rounded, legs set very widely apart, moderately short in length. Legs or feet materially affecting the natural movement of the specimen is an expressly mentioned disqualification. As a judge, have you ever disqualified an individual because its legs were so short, and set so widely apart that they prevented natural movement........................ or even lowered one in the placeings because of these defects?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom