Cornish Thread

Pics
Thanks, Walt, I think that this is an on-topic question, as the OP is asking Cornish people (and this is the appropriate thread) what they think if they have read this article. I know some folks in BYC dislike any introduction of new breeds made by crossing established breeds, but to shut down conversations and questions regarding these is unproductive. I am interested in whether anyone who is into Cornish has read the article and what they think. I'm sure you didn't mean to make the thread adhere to only your interests.

On-topic can also mean the party you're addressing- in this case, Cornish folks.

People can post anything they want here, but as a recognized Cornish breeder in both the ABA and APA, I am saying they are not Cornish. Most serious Cornish breeders don't come to BYC, so a lot of input here is from people that are new to Cornish. I don't care what people do with their chickens, but I do care when they post inaccurate info about Cornish. That kind of post should be posted in a CornishX thread. This is the Cornish thread, not the hybrid Cornish thread or the "project" Cornish thread or the mongrel Cornish thread.
I post these kinds of responses because most of the people that come here to BYC are newbies and unfortunately they believe most of what is posted here.

Thanks for your input.

Walt

:goodpost:

Thank you Walt! There is a thread for this called "red laced cornish project" or something of that sort where all things cornish and crosses and projects and so on are discussed. The great breeders that started out posting there and on this thread pretty much don't any more but it's still alive and kicking.

goodpost.gif

Thank you Walt! There is a thread for this called "red laced cornish project" or something of that sort where all things cornish and crosses and projects and so on are discussed. The great breeders that started out posting there and on this thread pretty much don't any more but it's still alive and kicking.

I know they don't post here now because the thread has been derailed. Al, Paulo etc know Cornish and can contribute a wealth of info, but this these kinds of things turn them off because other than a few interested in these projects, the info info posted is useless on this particular thread. They can start their own thread. Frankly I don't want to even hear about it. When you know the breed, it seems like a huge waste of time to hybridize it. It has been done. all these things have been done, these people just don't know it because they are new to poultry. There are very few things that have not been tried before and I don't want to read about it in the Cornish thread.

The people that are interested in Cornish don't want to come to this thread and read about hybrid Cornish, they want to read and learn about Cornish.

Walt

We are very serious about raising standard white Cornish, and would love to help preserve this breed. If anyone knows where we could get a start in these beautiful birds please send me a message.

If Al comes back to this thread he can help you out. He has great large white Cornish. I will try to find his info in the meantime.

Walt

Edit: here is Al's BYC name
al6517

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to reading about and seeing pictures of these Greylegs, if not here then somewhere else. The name itself makes it pretty clear that they are not Cornish, and pictures may be pretty useful in explaining the differences between Cornish and other chickens, so here would be fine with me. As far as them being just another cross or hybrid; I have no idea if these are F1 or F2 crosses, or if their originator has invested his time, sweat, and tears in many generations of breeding to get them stabilized to breed true.

I know they don't post here now because the thread has been derailed. Al, Paulo etc know Cornish and can contribute a wealth of info, but this these kinds of things turn them off because other than a few interested in these projects, the info info posted is useless on this particular thread. They can start their own thread. Frankly I don't want to even hear about it. When you know the breed, it seems like a huge waste of time to hybridize it. It has been done. all these things have been done, these people just don't know it because they are new to poultry. There are very few things that have not been tried before and I don't want to read about it in the Cornish thread.

The people that are interested in Cornish don't want to come to this thread and read about hybrid Cornish, they want to read and learn about Cornish.

Walt
As someone who has what I call a "mediocrely average" cornish project going on, I forsee your comments as pretty detrimental to the Cornish suriviability.

To expand upon your comments about being a huge waste of time-- I think it's a huge waste of time promoting the breed if nobody ever chooses to do the next step: and that's establish new breeders.

I'm a current paid member of the ICBA (I wonder how many other posters on this thread and the BYC are?), and just got my new blue newsletter about two weeks ago, however, I'm thinking I won't be a member next year- I have yet to see a benefit of being such.

Last edited:
As someone who has what I call a "mediocrely average" cornish project going on, I forsee your comments as pretty detrimental to the Cornish suriviability.

To expand upon your comments about being a huge waste of time-- I think it's a huge waste of time promoting the breed if nobody ever chooses to do the next step: and that's establish new breeders.

I'm a current paid member of the ICBA (I wonder how many other posters on this thread and the BYC are?), and just got my new blue newsletter about two weeks ago, however, I'm thinking I won't be a member next year- I have yet to see a benefit of being such.

Most members of the ICBA just don't come here nor are they interested in hearing about people hybridizing their breed. More than likely they would not be as kind as I was if they even bothered to post. I am not sure how diluting the breed is creating new breeders, but as I said "I don't care what you do with your chickens, they are your chickens".

I don't see how you would benefit from any breed club if you are changing the breed and I don't understand how it is promoting Cornish when in fact you are changing them to something else. Cornish are alive and well and here in CA it is not uncommon to have over 100 entered in a show. Every breed can use more support, but I don't think it is supporting a breed when you are making it into something else.

Enjoy your project and start a thread about them.

Walt

Kfacres~

I agree the most current issue of ICBA is not beneficial as far as raising Cornish. It was printed more as a "meet and greet" for the members to know their directors.
Now, if you really want to learn about Cornish, in a nutshell, if possible, I suggest you order the new reprinted Cornish Bantam book issued for the club. Its worth every penney and thus far the best investment I have made related to Cornish, apart from my Jones birds. I have read it front to back multiple times and learn something new EVERY time.

Good luck.

As a proud life member of the ICBA, I would not say that I pay memberships for the quarterly, while I do give it a good look over; I think that the club does a good job promoting Cornish, and that is really what it is about. While most has to do with the show side of things, the annual yearbook is worth the membership alone. Also the club has a new web site, which I think as it gets up and going will be a great resource, the sponsorship of the yahoo chat site is great, the Cornish store has helped with promotion of the breed. AS with all clubs if you just pay the money and expect a lot you will always be disappointed unless you are active and involved. Because of the ICBA I have meet a lot a great breeders and talked to quite a few great Cornish enthusiasts, and actually pay two jr memberships for our kids to help the club that runs on a fairly meager funds.

I'm not changing the breed, just trying to raise some Cornish for myself. The birds I was sold, trace back to hatchery females, I can't complain though I've been selling hatching eggs from them to backyarders like crazy.

I don't have much interest in doing something unique, but b/c my birds aren't up to par- I've resorted to joining the big medicine project for BLR birds. I see no reason in even trying to raise quality Cornish, let alone trying to buy some to do such an endeavor.

Just trying to make the most with what I've got.

Back
Top Bottom