Cornish x: Batch two

My cornish x are 3 weeks old today. Their average weight is 1lb, 3oz. Here are the individual weights in oz: 23, 25, 24, 21, 22, 16, 19, 13, 20, 18, 19, 18, 22, 16, 22, 11.

Still seem to have a few anomalies seriously under the curve, but overall doing well. Perhaps these little ones are the ones that typically die early. I don't know. I just know they are growing and thriving so it is all good!! Here are some pics.
20200921_085817.jpg

20200921_085832.jpg

My last batch, at 4 weeks, averaged 1 lb. So these guys are kicking butt!

Some half the weight of some others! That's a serious difference. They are still young but does it look like they might be pullets? I'd still consider that a huge difference.

I don't raise Cornish X but I sometimes get around 20 cockerels of the same breed from a hatchery. I don't pay that much attention at three weeks but later I see a huge difference in the smaller versus the larger. That's all cockerels, no pullets. I think that is just a result of their pen breeding method. I'm not surprised that you get some variation but I am surprised it is that much. Maybe they had some quality control problems when selecting their breeders? Maybe someone like @nicalandia can explain it.

@Ridgerunner yes it's pretty odd. The larger ones seem to be starting to show combs and wattles but i'm not sure yet. I don't have a scheduled butcher day nor do I plan on doing them all at once, so I will just butcher when ready. Curious to see if the gap continues to get farther apart or they even out as they grow. This is why I like weighing them. Brings stuff like this to my attention.

When you're done with this batch you need to write an article on your management technique because your Cornish X look so clean and chicken-ish, not like the dirty feather-lumps sometimes seen.
I really appreciate the encouragement. I might just do that as my second entry for the article contest. 🥰

Dumb question, but I’m new to chickens and have zero experience with meat breeds or Cornish X’s. Could you purchase a Cornish hen or roo and breed your own crosses?

No. The Cornish X meat birds are a specialized 4-way hybrid from carefully selected lines which creates what's called a "Terminal Cross" -- an animal bred to be butchered at a particular age.

They generally out-grow the ability of their skeletons and organ systems to support them at some point after the expected butchering age of 6-12 weeks.

Some people have managed to keep them alive and even breed them (the hen's at least, the males are often so big in the chest that they can't successfully mate), by feeding them near-starvation rations and forcing exercise. You can search these forums to see the results.

No. The Cornish X meat birds are a specialized 4-way hybrid from carefully selected lines which creates what's called a "Terminal Cross" -- an animal bred to be butchered at a particular age.

They generally out-grow the ability of their skeletons and organ systems to support them at some point after the expected butchering age of 6-12 weeks.

Some people have managed to keep them alive and even breed them (the hen's at least, the males are often so big in the chest that they can't successfully mate), by feeding them near-starvation rations and forcing exercise. You can search these forums to see the results.
Thank you for the info. That’s interesting if not a little depressing in some ways. It’ll be a long time yet before I can raise meat birds, but I want to learn what I can before hand

Don,t have an available pasture for these guys at the moment so I moved them into my old main coop today to grow out for a week or two when I get my pawture in order. They are enjoying their new hanging feeder and waterer and all the new space. It is 8x4.
20200923_161437.jpg
20200923_161515.jpg

Since they won't be going out every morning, and I need coop access with them in there, I cut the door in half and added more ventilation to the top half.
20200923_161452.jpg

Back
Top Bottom