Cornish x chick can't stand

SwedishDude99

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
El Dorado County, Ca
Hi everyone. So I bought 10 meat chicks two weeks ago and they have all been doing great until yesterday. I've noticed that one of them refuses to stand. I realize that meat birds grow faster than they can handle, but i haven't read anything about it happening this early. They are 16 days old as of today. Is this likely the cause? Or could there be something else happening? I have the chick seperated from the others so that it doesn't have to compete for feed and water, but I don't want to prolong its suffering if it can't be fixed. I am running out to buy electrolytes right now for it. I'm hoping that will perk it up somewhat. What do you all think I should do for it?

Same thing happened to one of ours. I think it was sick because it wouldn't drink. It got so pitiful that my husband had to take it out. All of the other chicks are find, so I think it must have gotten sick or injured.

Mtnmomma, that is what I'm afraid ill have to do with mine. It is readily eating and drinking right now, and doesn't seem to be in pain so I am going to give it a couple days to perk up. Slingshot, I am adding sav-a-chick electrolytes to the water and nutri-drench. I just started adding them today, so I will see what effect those have on it. If I do have to kill it, what do you recommend? I feel wierd about killing it like I would an adult chicken for some reason. I've read about using ether to put it to sleep. Do you know anything about that?

Mtnmomma, that is what I'm afraid ill have to do with mine. It is readily eating and drinking right now, and doesn't seem to be in pain so I am going to give it a couple days to perk up. Slingshot, I am adding sav-a-chick electrolytes to the water and nutri-drench. I just started adding them today, so I will see what effect those have on it. If I do have to kill it, what do you recommend? I feel wierd about killing it like I would an adult chicken for some reason. I've read about using ether to put it to sleep. Do you know anything about that?

Don't do it like you would an adult, no need

All you have to do is pin it's head down and pull on the body slightly, that will dislocate the neck. Some people use shears or pellet guns or what ever else. I see no need to make it messy or set up some sort of contraption to suffocate a chicken.

Your problem could be a vitamin B12 deficiency, although with only one chick with the problem it's hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom