Cornish X Growth rate - Just to give you an idea

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by FutureChickenMan, Mar 31, 2008.

1. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    [​IMG]

Left- Cornish X rock
    Right - Rhode Island Red
    Both birds are 2 weeks old

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's amazing how fast they grow! My 12 day old cornish x's are 9 ounces today!

My guess is they are closer to three weeks than two. I see shoulder pads and a vest growing in. :p

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Once when I bought some chicks for a broody hen, one of them was a cornish and she grew so fast it was bigger than the mama and she started being mama to the babies. It was really cute. I did not have to worry about the babies getting cold!

4. FutureChickenMan

Oct 29, 2007
    Quote:Probably 2.5ish weeks.. I've had them two weeks + 3 days ship + hatch day = 18 days. My guess anyway.

5. jamesrm

jamesrm Featherbrained, at best!

Mar 26, 2008
    White House, TN
    Think I got a lame batch of Cornish X, mine are the exact same size and weight as my RIR at 3 weeks.

6. FutureChickenMan

Oct 29, 2007
    Quote:You probably got leggerns. I have some leggerns as well and they're about the same size as the RIR's. I wasn't supposed to get any Cronish x's.. I was supposed to get Dark Cornishs and they sent me these darn Cornish x's. Bah. Oh well.

7. silkieboxerluv

silkieboxerluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    So the white one is a meat bird. Wow. Its huge in comparison. How long do you keep the Cornish?

8. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Cornish X can be at killing weight in as little as 38 days.

About 8 weeks for larger birds.

9. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    I got some chicks from TS a few weeks ago. Being new to chickens I got some RIR, assorted pullets and my dh said here get 2 of these Cornish pullets too. Well I was going to post to see if some thing was wrong with the white one (black one seems normal) it looks just like the one FutureChickenMan posted. So the Cornish is not going lay eggs, right? what happens if we don't butcher and just let it be a yard pet??

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

There are a few here who have raised them as pets. Hooligan is one of them. PM her and she can tell you how she's keeping them alive despite their short lives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by