1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish X With Very Few Feathers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jenikay63, Sep 11, 2009.

1. jenikay63

jenikay63 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    I have 50 Jumbo Cornish X that are 4 1/2 weeks old. I got them from Murry McMurry. They weigh between 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. My question/concern is that they have very few feathers. It's almost as if they grow too fast for the feathers to keep up with their stretching skin. Is this normal? Will they eventually get more feathers? We plan to butcher them in about 4 weeks. They are very lazy birds---they basically eat and poop all day long. There feet and legs are HUGE and very thick, which is understandable as they need to support their large bodies. I just think it is odd that they don't have many feathers and I can see their skin when they stretch out.

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    That is the Cornish hybrids for you. I was at first alarmed by the fact that they did not have feathers. They are fine. They usually get a few more feathers later. You hit the nail on the head when you said that they poop and eat all day. They are the most boring bird!

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    They just grow too fast for their feathers to keep up.

4. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    All is normal, We call them our bowling balls on legs. My health nut son thinks they mirror many lazy Americans.

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, perfectly normal. And when they do get feathers, they get caked in poo. Lovely birds, eh? It makes scalding disgusting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by