Coronation Sussex. Roo or Pullet?

Roo has been my guess, but I was really hoping for a pullet. I had 8 CS embryos alive on day 18, but this was the only shipped egg that hatched. Every air cell was completely detached when they arrived.

What age should I expect to see hackle & saddle feathers?

Roo has been my guess, but I was really hoping for a pullet. I had 8 CS embryos alive on day 18, but this was the only shipped egg that hatched. Every air cell was completely detached when they arrived.

What age should I expect to see hackle & saddle feathers?

Usually, you'll see the beginning of those around 12-14 weeks of age. Even before they become long enough to see, you can part the back feathers and see shiny, skinny ones emerging from mid-back if it's a cockerel.

Agree it's a cockerel. Not matter the smallish size of the comb, that's too much redness for a female.

My boys get sex feathers around 12 ish weeks at the low end of the age range. I've got an Ameraucana boy who waited until close to 5 months to blossom.

Just to let everyone know how it turned out......
Here's my hen, "Hope." She's HUGE. it took 8 mo for her to lay her 1st egg.

We had a lav orpington roo & decided to hatch some of Hope's eggs.
Here are her 2 pullets. They look like lav orps.
This is Sweetie. She has Hope's round, fluffy, XL body.

This is Nemo, my son's fav. She enjoys playing on the swingset & hanging out in the treehouse.

Nemo a few months ago.

All of Hope's chicks were solid lavender. None had a collar. Does anyone know if I pair the mixes with a diff orp roo, will I ever see the Sussex collar or is that a recessive trait?
(I don't really know much about genetics. )

Aw, so cute!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom