Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Anyone else finding it hard to find TP again? I was able to get paper towels yesterday but the shelves for TP were completely empty. Luckily I have a stash but Id rather not deplete it
Not sure what area you are in but try stores where you don't normally shop. We used to go to Big Lots regularly but not so much anymore. They still have large bales of tp for $5. Same with paper towels. Everyone goes to Sams or Costco or their local grocer and they are depleted but lesser known places might have some.

Sorry you tested positive and I hope you don't get sick. NPR this morning was talking about the difference between testing positive for the Sars-cov-2 virus (which is what they are testing for) and actually having a case of Covid. One could get the virus and kick its butt before it has a chance to replicate and make them sick.

Still need truckers and as I understand it that is a big part of the supply chain problem. All those freighters off San Pedro and Long Beach could get unloaded IF there were enough people to drive the stuff away.
My understanding is that it's not just a shortage of truckers but also requirements by CA that trucks older than 20xx be retrofitted with special equipment which places an additional burden on trucking companies. So trucks are prohibited from entering to pickup or deliver.

Mennonite is an offshoot of Amish, yes very different.
I too was confused by the terms they used.
Actually Amish are the ones that broke away from the Mennonite faith. They felt the Mennonites were getting too comfortable with the modern world.

Given the trimmed beard and clothing- doubt that the first man pictured was Amish. The Lancaster Amish run a weekly market here - they all were/are masked. As far as avoiding government, they vote and are politically aware.

Amish also wear their beards trimmed depending on the community and the bishop. But, the ones that are more strict won't cut their beards.

The Amish community here refuse to get vaccinated. They refused to stop their church services. They refused to stop living life. Did they get cov2? Yep and it went through the community like any communicable virus. Was their death rate exceedingly high? No - just what was expected. Some succumbed to complications due to covid, but there wasn't anything out of the normal as far as death rates.
Do they wear masks? They were a hard sell on the mask wearing. But, places like banks, dr.'s offices, dentist offices, etc. made the mask mandatory to enter. So, if there was only one way to come in they wore a mask. At banks though, some in this area still have walk up windows. Those were utilized. Other banks closed their closest drive up and made it into a walk up only window solely for the benefit of the Amish - of course anyone could use it as a walk up if they chose to do so. Locally owned stores did not make masks mandatory. Most stores had signs that stated it was recommended and that the governor had a mandate in place. If there was a mask available at the doorway, most would put them on.

Last edited:
My understanding is that it's not just a shortage of truckers but also requirements by CA that trucks older than 20xx be retrofitted with special equipment which places an additional burden on trucking companies. So trucks are prohibited from entering to pickup or deliver.
Heard that from drivers here also.
It's not just retrofitting older trucks they also don't allow in the state any what they call "glider kits" which are older trucks rebuilt to new. A lot of companies utilize them. Yeah there is a shortage of drivers but California just makes the situation worse with regulations and bans.
Looking like those cargo companies will probably ship all their business through Florida. Ain't no profit sitting for a month in port waiting instead of shipping. Going to cost us all.

Actually nobody has told any of us to stay home or quarantine from CDC/health department. We made the decision ourselves to call the school and our work. Ain't they supposed to do contact tracing? I've heard they do, want to know where you've been and who u been around. Been a week since kids tested positive and no word on anything. Wonder why covid cases are worse now than before the vaccine Govt is inept.
I was told by our union that we get 10 paid sick days this year if we have to stay home because we test positive. Thought it was state law in NY...but could just be my county...

I was told by our union that we get 10 paid sick days this year if we have to stay home because we test positive. Thought it was state law in NY...but could just be my county...

A lot of reading there, just can't make anything simple.
From looks of it unless you all can decipher different all that expired.
Prob why I heard work isn't paying full pay anymore, have to go through FMLA.

First it was April 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020,

Next,
"Employers who choose to provide such leave between January 1, 2021 and September 30, 2021 may be eligible for employer tax credits.

Now,
"An employee who is unable to work or telework due to reasons related to COVID-19 described in (4), (5) or (6) above may receive paid sick leave for up to two weeks (up to 80 hours) at 2/3 the employee’s regular rate of pay or, if higher, the Federal minimum wage or any applicable State or local minimum wage"

If ya eat it, yeah. If ya OD on it, also yeah. Broccoli is good for you but if you inject it into your bloodstream you’ll die. ;)

I think it’s time for me to unwatch this thread. It’s devolved from “Covid has made it hard to go to the grocery store” into conspiracy theories punctuated with reality. Not my cuppa ☕️ . Doesn’t it get exhausting at some point, keeping up with other people’s stupidity when one can just focus on how they can keep themselves and their loved ones safe and not make a big stink about everyone else? I think people should get vaccinated, and I support vaccine mandates with exceptions for medical issues, but I also think people need to mind their $!#@ business.

That’s my crotchety thought of the day. Hope y’all stay safe, healthy, and sane. Wear ya mask.
Personally I enjoy civilized debate. It is healthy exchange of ideas.

And that’s california for you, not one lick of common sense. If it true. I did not fact check it but it sounds like something calif would do.

Back
Top Bottom