Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Okay - I have GOT to add an side, here. The analogy of "Like lemmings hurling themselves blindly off cliffs," is MUCH more sinister than you it appears. Check out this from a (World Wildlife Federation (WWF) sponsored site:

https://www.nathab.com/blog/lemming-suicide-the-no-1-nature-hoax/

DIsney cooked up the whole thing to boost ratings, because the directors decided that the regular segment was too boring ... and 70 years later, it's still circulating as "Truth."
Yes, your very correct on the facts behind the lemming-Disney hoax. I just felt the irony couldn't be ignored as so many of that minority; the "loudest" 'freedom chest thumpers' are also folks spewing hoax after hoax as 'truth' in their eyes.

Or was that just too many layers of metaphor/irony/strangeness to appreciate?

I also really wonder what some of the 'freedom' chest thumpers' would of been like, *If* we did a Time Warp & seen their reactions to when the ideas behind seatbelt, crash testing, crayon safety, the removal of lead from paint, the "no shirt, no shoes, no service"; the Tylenol needle scare, or clean water and air act's first became a healthly common sense awareness for us as a nation.

I am not interested in sacrificing liberty for security. There is a huge difference between government mandated restrictions and recommendations.
I agree with this too and the last thing I want is more government involvement. My state has done pretty much everything about reopening as a recommendation only, nothing is truly enforced. So a lot of businesses have not changed any of their usual practices whatsoever. There are no temp checks, no distancing, no PPE, no extra cleaning. Employees are desperate for income so continue to show up for work even if they suspect they could be sick nor would they consider getting tested because they can't miss a paycheck and they won't wear a mask all day because it's uncomfortable enough as it is. A lot of the spread is coming from those places (plants and warehouses) and there are a lot of complaints about the work environments. The majority of the population is also not practicing the health safety recommendations.

We are experiencing an uptick in cases with a continuing rise unlike a lot of other places and for the first time ever yesterday I heard the mayor mention mandates. If there was more balance, if people and businesses took more responsibility on their own I doubt mandates would be considered. Just can't have your cake and eat it too. :(

Shutting up now sorry :th

Yes, I've kind of been thinking the same thing. Also a lot of ostriches sticking their heads in the sand and playing pretend with their own version of reality. A lot of those people are friends and family, they're extremely high risk and they're running full speed for that cliff. :( My DS is 15yo and his friends believe the virus is not serious. I tell him "If all your friends are jumping off a cliff, are you going to jump off too just because they are?". It's been a non-stop thing trying to teach him that it is okay to have doubts and questions about the virus but he needs to consider the consequences of his actions in case he's wrong. Practicing a little caution does not hurt anyone, but not practicing any caution could hurt a lot of people. It is better to be safe now than sorry later...
I've been having the same conversations with my kiddo here.
Thankfully mine is a listener and has already formed opinions about looking at what is right vs what everyone else is doing. Of course mine is the one who will stand up to the bully in defense of another and likely to get a black as well.
Yes, your very correct on the facts behind the lemming-Disney hoax. I just felt the irony couldn't be ignored as so many of that minority; the "loudest" 'freedom chest thumpers' are also folks spewing hoax after hoax as 'truth' in their eyes.

Or was that just too many layers of metaphor/irony/strangeness to appreciate?
Nope. I was thinking Darwin Awards myself.
Many. Many. Darwin Awards.

And the sane ones among us will just have to be patient a little longer while the lemmings go about reducing their own numbers.

I've been having the same conversations with my kiddo here.
Thankfully mine is a listener and has already formed opinions about looking at what is right vs what everyone else is doing. Of course mine is the one who will stand up to the bully in defense of another and likely to get a black as well.
Oh my son is smart but stubborn and common sense escapes him sometimes. Just trying to help him use those smarts and think a little bit further on his own and not necessarily lean so heavily on just what his friends opinions are.

Oh my son is smart but stubborn and common sense escapes him sometimes. Just trying to help him use those smarts and think a little bit further on his own and not necessarily lean so heavily on just what his friends opinions are.
Sorry, wasn't trying to imply anything about your DS. My kiddo certainly lacks common sense in quite a few areas!

It's seems like we the parents know the thinking and logic is in there...somewhere swirling around in that big mushy thing between the ears...it's trying to find the right switch, and get it to click on and to actually function, is the challenge.

Back
Top Bottom