Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I'm just getting to the morning's NYT that included the story Karyn quoted. This chart comparing flu and Covid deaths per 100,000 may also be instructive for the Covid deniers here.

24-MORNING-FLUVCOVID-articleLarge.png

Last edited:
Same here @BDutch. I try to catch up when I can but this thread moves so fast. I just dropped in to post an update. I finally got my second COVID shot after a weather delay. We will also likely need to continue to wear masks for quite a while. Which seriously I don't mind. I have not had an upper respiratory illness since this pandemic started, which is a very good thing. I tend to develop bronchitis very easily so I'm looking at this with a "glass half full" attitude.
Congratulations and thanks for the heads up about your second shot! I'm sorry you had so many side effects though.

My sense, too, is that cases of the common cold and the "regular" flu are down this year, just from observation. I've spent a bit of time in Asia, especially Japan, and people wear masks at the first sign of illness to protect others and have done so for years. It's really not a big deal there. Hopefully mask wearing will become more normalized here during respiratory illness season.

I'm just getting to the morning's NYT that included the story Karyn quoted. This chart comparing flu and Covid deaths per 100,000 may also be instructive for the Covid deniers here.

View attachment 2543363
Naw, they tell me it's people that died from other things added into the covid numbers. I know IL had more covid deaths by July of 2020 than they had all of 2019 from all causes

Congratulations and thanks for the heads up about your second shot! I'm sorry you had so many side effects though.

My sense, too, is that cases of the common cold and the "regular" flu are down this year, just from observation. I've spent a bit of time in Asia, especially Japan, and people wear masks at the first sign of illness to protect others and have done so for years. It's really not a big deal there. Hopefully mask wearing will become more normalized here during respiratory illness season.
We’re going to! It’s been great not even having a cold this year! First time I think ever!

I regularly do because I wear a wear a cloth mask with ties over an N95 (sometimes with a face shield, too) when I go out. It takes a while to get all of that on and, because I'm slightly vain, I like my hair to look as neat as possible if I need to run an errand. Lyft drivers tell me they leave theirs on nearly all day to protect themselves and others because it's still not 100% known how long the droplets remain in the air.

I also wear my mask all the time when I'm out running or biking since I live in a pretty densely populated area with known cases of more virulent Covid strains. I'd much rather deal with the minor inconvenience and maybe overkill of wearing a mask when I leave the house than potentially being responsible for killing someone or contracting a virus we don't know much about and possibly dealing with long term side effects. If I lived in a rural area with a low population density and it took a while to get from my house to wherever I needed to go, I wouldn't wear a mask in the car.

Honestly, I'm much more likely to judge someone not wearing a mask in a store who potentially puts more susceptible people and themselves at risk of a deadly virus than I am of what people are doing in the relative privacy of their cars.
I would not wear one while exercising. You need your oxygen.

Actually on Dr Oz they had a guy with and without a mask exercise wearing a ox meter. He was at 99% oxygen in both cases.

I know!

When they first talked about using and being exempted from mask wearing and exempted people with restricted breathing I was going "who is that and in what circumstances" because I'm asthmatic and I can wear my triple-layer mask and operate just fine. If someone is so compromised that they can't breathe through a mask -- like an emphysemic on O2, for example -- they simply shouldn't be out in public or doing errands in such a risky environment. The rest are pretenders exploiting an exception to serve their own egos and thumb their noses at everyone else.

There once was an idiot of that particular persuasion here. We haven't heard from him in a l-o-n-g time. Maybe he caught on and maybe he caught a virus. I don't much care which because he really made an issue of the fact that he simply was never going to be responsible and he was going to prove that no one was going to make him.

Back
Top Bottom