Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

The Princess and I got our second Moderna vaccination 3 weeks ago. We will be wearing our masks out of respect/consideration for others as well as the fact that so much is still unknown about this virus and its variants. For those who choose to not mask, I say go for it. There were 'only' 8,130 new cases diagnosed in Texas yesterday.
Glad to hear you and the Princess are vaccinated, Sour! ❤ that is great news! Too bad they don't have "I got shot" pins for us when we get em, eh? 😆

Glad to hear you and the Princess are vaccinated, Sour! ❤ that is great news! Too bad they don't have "I got shot" pins for us when we get em, eh? 😆

Seriously, I got a sticker (like a kid) on the first shot and a button pin for the second shot. I stuck the sticker on my wallet, and the pin resides on our dresser. :lau

As a single parent of teenagers with a full time job, I've also never spent so much time with my kids. In a non-pandemic world, they would be busy with sports and friends. Since one of my kids is a graduating senior, I'm really grateful to have had this year to get to know the amazing adult she is becoming. Young people, in general, have blown me away with their inventiveness and resilience this past year.
I love to hear that! How awesome. Our grandkids are college-age, so all I hear about from friends and relatives with kids at home (as well as typical media articles) is how hard it is to home-school, to balance work-from-home while keeping the kids busy, etc.

But a lot of these same people before the pandemic, were having similar stressors commuting to and from work and trying to balance picking up the kids from school in between car repairs and dentist appointments, having to feed everybody on fast-food in between soccer games and piano recitals and sleepovers, basically families being severely over-scheduled and their kids over-programmed.

It's so great to hear from parents like you who've taken advantage of this time to slow down and spend time to really know your kids. I bet there are many parents like you we just don't hear about...Not to minimize your hardships, I'm sure your kids wish they could spend more time with their friends, and I'm sure you have your share of conflicts - but there's sure a lot that's positive and valuable about families knowing each other as human beings and appreciating each other.
Ivermectin? I have not heard Dr Fauci speak about this, nor any recommendations from the Cdc about ivermectin. Must have missed something somewhere. Any links to either of these sources?
Same here, I've seen a few videos and articles touting ivermectin as a covid preventative and/or treatment, but none based on any peer-reviewed scientific studies.
It seems unlikely to me that a medication I buy for my horses to kill parasites like multi-celled invertebrates (worms) and single-celled protozoans (like giardia) would be effective against non-cellular viruses.
But maybe it could be, who knows? If some doctors in other parts of the world are getting good results from ivermectin, it definitely merits a controlled scientific study. I hope that happens - but until that happens and the results are peer-reviewed and published, I'm not going to go ordering ivermectin horse wormers and taking them myself to prevent covid. There are real side effects to ivermectin, more than just minor digestive upsets, such as long-term liver damage.

I can really relate to Feather13's post about her teenage kids and having more time to spend with them. My spouse and I feel the same way; our oldest is a senior and I know I only have this last year of her living at home before she goes off to university and her life after that. So I cherish every moment she is at home with us. Her younger sister is 16 and it is such a special time to have them close and an extra benefit to not have to worry about them going out in cars with friends to all hours of the night! They are home bodies anyway, all of us are at my house.

A house full of introverts, are we. Now their school district is opening up to full days in person and both my teenagers emphatically wish to remain remote, learning from home. In some ways, I want, especially my senior, to have at least a little of her traditional senior year stuff like football games, prom, senior trip, senior "skip day" and all that. But it's just not going to happen. I think even with full time in person school, those things probably won't go on. It's sad; but I feel like I won the lottery because I get so much more time with the girls at home!

But a lot of these same people before the pandemic, were having similar stressors commuting to and from work and trying to balance picking up the kids from school in between car repairs and dentist appointments, having to feed everybody on fast-food in between soccer games and piano recitals and sleepovers, basically families being severely over-scheduled and their kids over-programmed.

I bet there are many parents like you we just don't hear about...Not to minimize your hardships, I'm sure your kids wish they could spend more time with their friends, and I'm sure you have your share of conflicts - but there's sure a lot that's positive and valuable about families knowing each other as human beings and appreciating each other.
Our lives were definitely like that before the pandemic... rushing home from work, getting the kids ready for their hectic after-school practices, pulling stuff out of the pantry only to have dinner on the table right before bedtime LOL. I'm definitely less productive at work now, but I know it's temporary. Getting to spend so much time with my kids is a good tradeoff though imho.

Hope you are finding some joy in what is otherwise a scary, uncertain time!

I can really relate to Feather13's post about her teenage kids and having more time to spend with them. My spouse and I feel the same way; our oldest is a senior and I know I only have this last year of her living at home before she goes off to university and her life after that. So I cherish every moment she is at home with us. Her younger sister is 16 and it is such a special time to have them close and an extra benefit to not have to worry about them going out in cars with friends to all hours of the night! They are home bodies anyway, all of us are at my house.

A house full of introverts, are we. Now their school district is opening up to full days in person and both my teenagers emphatically wish to remain remote, learning from home. In some ways, I want, especially my senior, to have at least a little of her traditional senior year stuff like football games, prom, senior trip, senior "skip day" and all that. But it's just not going to happen. I think even with full time in person school, those things probably won't go on. It's sad; but I feel like I won the lottery because I get so much more time with the girls at home!
Our kids are the same ages! I'm so happy to know you're also enjoying time at home with them (I love how you compared it to winning the lottery). Having all these months to spend with my high school senior really helps offset the sadness I feel trickling in as she prepares for college and beyond. And her younger sister gets some really special time with her that would otherwise have been taken up with after school practices and wanting to spend every waking hour with friends.

Their school is also going to go back to in person instruction in a few weeks and they are pretty furious about that, especially since many of their classmates don't wear masks (and post photos socializing on social media) and we don't know what the long term effects of Covid are on young people. There are scary reports of athletes, especially girls, being totally debilitated after getting even mild cases of the virus. While online learning isn't ideal (especially when we're all using the glitchy Internet at the same time), teens probably won't get the vaccines soon, and they are missing out on dances, sports, etc., they'd rather finish out the year at home playing it safe.

Same here, I've seen a few videos and articles touting ivermectin as a covid preventative and/or treatment, but none based on any peer-reviewed scientific studies.
It seems unlikely to me that a medication I buy for my horses to kill parasites like multi-celled invertebrates (worms) and single-celled protozoans (like giardia) would be effective against non-cellular viruses.
But maybe it could be, who knows? If some doctors in other parts of the world are getting good results from ivermectin, it definitely merits a controlled scientific study. I hope that happens - but until that happens and the results are peer-reviewed and published, I'm not going to go ordering ivermectin horse wormers and taking them myself to prevent covid. There are real side effects to ivermectin, more than just minor digestive upsets, such as long-term liver damage.

There is plenty of peer reviewed info if you care to read it. As far as your liver damage comment, is that based on proper dosing? Tylenol is a far greater risk to livers than ivermectin.

See the excerpt from https://covid19criticalcare.com/i-mask-prophylaxis-treatment-protocol/faq-on-ivermectin/

“Can ivermectin be given to patients with acute or chronic liver disease?

In regards to liver disease, ivermectin is well tolerated, given that there is only a single case of liver injury reported one month after use that rapidly recovered. Ivermectin has not been associated with acute liver failure or chronic liver injury. Further, no dose adjustments are required in patients with liver disease.“

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom