Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

i serve front line workers that complained about this....
and...i’m a dentist...and the highest risk profession...for covid.

i have baby chicks, laying hens and other sh*t to manage in my life besides covid...i honestly don’t have time for covid. i am going to let the media handle covid and not worry about it

and...i’m a dentist...and the highest risk profession...for covid.

i have baby chicks, laying hens and other sh*t to manage in my life besides covid...i honestly don’t have time for covid. i am going to let the media handle covid and not worry about it
my practice has already changed so much and probably for the better and we’ll keep these changes to protect our patients

Welp, on capitol hill today Fauci, the highest paid bureaucrat in Washington couldn't answer the question when is the USA going to get their liberties back, couldn't give a number of vaccinations couldn't give a number of drop in cases. Couldn't/refused to answer the question.
I watched that whole session, too, and I thought he handled it very well. Oftentimes, the person asking the question wouldn't let him speak, they interrupt him (especially Jim Jordan). It's too bad Dr. Fauci is only a doctor and not a wizard. It would take a wizard to be able to answer that question because the following information is needed in order to achieve herd immunity (which is when a significant portion of a population becomes immune to an infectious disease and all normal activities can resume):

• Mask wearing and social distancing - can decrease the spread of the coronavirus, and there’s a lot of variability in how well communities are doing these things. There is no way for Dr. Fauci to know whether you and I will use these measures from one day to the next.
  • Experts still aren’t sure how long immunity lasts, either from infection or the vaccine. So those who have had covid early on or got the vaccine early on may or may not still have antibodies; it's just an unknown right now. Dr. Fauci cannot know the unknown.
  • As for COVID-19 herd immunity, experts still aren’t sure what the threshold will be. The initial estimates of 60% to 70% were too low, because covid is turning out to be more contagious than initally thought. If that’s the case, we may need between 70% and 95% of people to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.
  • Perhaps most importantly, it depends on how willing the public is to get vaccinated and how quickly it can be done. Again, no way for Dr. Fauci to know how quickly you and I will be vaccinated and whether vaccine supplies will be available steadily without interruption (J&J 'pause' being one of those things he cannot be expected to predict).
  • Finallly, new strains of the virus continue to surface. Again, Dr. Fauci cannot predict how quickly new mutations will emerge and how serious they will be in terms of achieving herd immunity.
It boggles my mind how so many people think it is possible to have certainty about a disease that has never infected humans before. You think this is just like measles or chicken pox, that everything is known and can be quantified and packaged up for you to know exactly how it's going to proceed. That's not realistic! We are in uncharted waters and we just have to do the best we can.

Dr. Fauci wisely didn't answer the question because a) there's no way for him to know; and b) if he gives his best guess, people will take it as gospel and if something changes they will say he lied.

Back
Top Bottom