Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

My 6-year-old brought Covid home to us (we assume) from school. We are grateful that his case was very mild and he seems to have gotten over it without any complications. My husband and I are vaccinated, thankfully we have no symptoms, and have tested negative on the rapid test so far. I guess we have another week to go before we can say with 100% confidence we are in the clear.

My MIL tested negative on the rapid test, but they also gave her a PCR test b/c she has significant health problems, and she tested positive on that one. She is vaccinated. They gave her the antibody infusions as a preventative, and she never had any symptoms. I believe her 10 day isolation period ended yesterday.

Our four-year-old has tested negative so far, and has never had any symptoms. I hope vaccinations for younger children are approved soon.
:hugs

I still wear my masks when going shopping and if I end up in crowded situations. Many of the cities and towns in Massachusetts are re-instating mask mandates. Cases of Covid have been greatly increasing since schools have re-opened. For the most part, IMHO masking up and social distancing while going about your daily business is the new normal and will likely be that way for quite awhile.
We do too and my county has a mask mandate.

My county:
https://covid19.sccgov.org/dashboard-vaccinations
1632152401057.png

The rapid tests have a place, I think. I teach in a public high school, and kids don't wear masks correctly, although there is a mandate to wear them in class. I get tested 3x a week. I don't want to bring it (and long Covid) home to my 8yo. I've already heard about more breakthrough cases than I'm comfortable with.
I agree. They're not perfect, but they are good for certain situations, and we have to use the tools that are available to us. I work in a psychiatric hospital. Many of our pts aren't willing or capable of wearing masks correctly, and it wouldn't be practical to wait the several days for the lab to return PCR results before admission.

The rapid tests have a place, I think.

I agree. They're not perfect, but they are good for certain situations, and we have to use the tools that are available to us.
Absolutely. Utilized intelligently while being aware of the limitations they are a screening help.

It isn't a rare false negative

".. researchers found that the probability of a false negative result decreases from 100% on Day 1 of being infected to 67% on Day 4. The false negative rate decreased to 20% on Day 8 (three days after a person begins experiencing symptoms). They also found that on the day a person started experiencing actual symptoms of illness, the average false negative rate was 38%...."
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/new...e-negatives-in-diagnostic-testing-of-covid-19

This is only the reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction test (RT-PCR). The one that is "still the gold standard" according to the FDA as of May 2021.

Back
Top Bottom