Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Thanks much for the link Beer. I found a few things interesting:

"Provision in the relief act
The coronavirus relief legislation created a 20% premium, or add-on, for COVID-19 Medicare patients.

There have been no public reports that hospitals are exaggerating COVID-19 numbers to receive higher Medicare payments.

Jensen didn't explicitly make that claim. He simply suggested there is an "avenue" to do so now that "plausible" COVID-19, not just laboratory-confirmed, cases can be greenlighted for Medicare payment and eligible for the 20% add-on allowed under the relief act."

"Ask FactCheck reporter Angelo Fichera, who interviewed Jensen, noted, "Jensen said he did not think that hospitals were intentionally misclassifying cases for financial reasons. But that’s how his comments have been widely interpreted and paraded on social media."

Ask FactCheck's conclusion: "Recent legislation pays hospitals higher Medicare rates for COVID-19 patients and treatment, but there is no evidence of fraudulent reporting."

Julie Aultman, a member of the editorial board of the American Medical Association’s Journal of Ethics, told PolitiFact it is “very unlikely that physicians or hospitals will falsify data or be motivated by money to do so.”

Very unlikely doesn't mean no one is doing it though. There are a bazillion instances throughout history of people doing questionable (to be kind) things to snag money they aren't entitled to.

It does make sense to me that Medicare would be paying more for people on ventilators, they are expensive. I presume they pay more if someone needed a ventilator pre Covid as well.
I was going to add pretty much what you said, know you good enough to know it wouldn't get past you. Yeah it doesn't prove evidence, but the potential still there.
Actually thinking back on it if they did, I wouldn't blame them. Hospitals for a long time had the ban hammer on them , banned from performing elective surgeries, surgeries they make $ on and pay the bills keep the lights on.
When our Govt is printing and blowing cash all over if hospitals that were struggling cause of Govt mandates and of course covid took advantage of it, don't blame them if they did.

I wouldn't wager on "most" but I wouldn't bet against "at least a few". There are bad apples. "Let's put a device in our diesel cars to fool the emissions tests" for one?
As I said, maybe cynical. My experience with legislation, particularly that which is produced and approved rapidly, is that it tends to be loose enough to allow for shenanigans. So, someone clever comes up with a complication that includes thing-x, as opposed to a complication because of thing-x. It’s a split hair I’ve seen many times and not just with corona virus.

As I said, maybe cynical. My experience with legislation, particularly that which is produced and approved rapidly, is that it tends to be loose enough to allow for shenanigans. So, someone clever comes up with a complication that includes thing-x, as opposed to a complication because of thing-x. It’s a split hair I’ve seen many times and not just with corona virus.
Doctors lie all the time. Recently I went to the dentist and refused a panoramic even though they suggested it. It was on the bill they gave me and when I argued against it the receptionist acted like I was lying. Got it taken off my bill but thats where they get you. Its straight up fraud.

@Beer can see if you can click on your name on the page and the preferences, so you can accept private messages.
Still haven't figured it out :idunno
I've got PM's before not sure why not now?
Anything you can say on here? Or maybe our NY thread? Off topic here but I'll get on NY thread, don't comment on it much anymore just because not very many do anymore. Should have seen it few yrs back was very busy, good thread and lots of friendship/discussions.

I don't know what the problem is Beer but in your profile there is no "start conversation" button like most have. There must be SOME way to turn it on and off. Some people have their profile totally private and no one can see it at all.

If someone wants to PM you and can't, they can post "PM me @Beer can" in a thread. Then the ball is in your court.

@Beer can - In your profile, go to Privacy and see what you have selected for “Start conversations with you” and the private messages. On my phone, those options are near the bottom of the Privacy settings.

If you’ve already done that, I’m out of ideas.
I found it! Privacy settings, Start conversations with you: was set at nobody.
I didn't do it, haven't been on privacy settings before. Must have been when the format on this site changed again year or so ago.

I'm sure it is a somewhat "unfair" burden to those who can not get vaccinated but I think it is better than having them potentially getting Covid and passing it on to others. If all who could get vaccinated did so, those who can't wouldn't likely need to have this testing.
My DDs friend almost got kicked out of college because she won’t get vaccinated. She has a list of food allergies including eggs (which is in the vaccine), & was told she would have to be admitted to the hospital if she was vaccinated because the risk of allergic reaction was so high. Twice (since the vaccine has 2 parts). The campus finally relented after numerous dr notes. She has to remain masked at all times except in her single, and has to go off campus to be tested weekly (she doesn’t have a car so it’s quite the hassle). I get they want everyone compliant but this is an exception...a dangerous one at that.

My DDs friend almost got kicked out of college because she won’t get vaccinated. She has a list of food allergies including eggs (which is in the vaccine), & was told she would have to be admitted to the hospital if she was vaccinated because the risk of allergic reaction was so high. Twice (since the vaccine has 2 parts). The campus finally relented after numerous dr notes. She has to remain masked at all times except in her single, and has to go off campus to be tested weekly (she doesn’t have a car so it’s quite the hassle). I get they want everyone compliant but this is an exception...a dangerous one at that.
There is no egg or egg component to the RNA vaccines. "but this is an exception...a dangerous one at that." - Yes, to anyone that she might expose if she gets Covid.

Back
Top Bottom