Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

From our county public health office;

I'm not surprised that the number of cases in colleges is very low since most of them are requiring vaccination.

What percent of the eligible population is vaccinated Beer? Here we are at 80% of the eligible (age 12+) being fully vaccinated, 89% partially. Still we are having really high Delta cases. 80% of the hospitalized are unvaccinated, 84% in the ICU are unvaccinated. The majority of total deaths are in the older age category (186 over 80, 83 age 70-79), 35 of the 345 deaths to date are under 60 including 1 in the 20-29 group.

Things were going really well into the end of June and the Gov removed all restrictions. Cases have risen sharply since mid July. The press keeps asking the Gov if he would consider reinstating some restrictions but he is fighting it, waiting for our cases to drop as Delta cases have in other countries. At first we were told it would be a 6 week "event", now they say 9. Guess we'll find out, we've got to be pretty close to those 9 weeks now and every day since mid August is over 100 new cases to well over 200 most days and over 300 some days ... higher than any previous day in the pandemic. Our highest previous day was 266 back in March when a lot of people were getting vaccinated and the case counts dropped pretty quickly.

Got my booster yesterday. Arm was sore overnight and this morning. Decreasing now so I guess the chip they injected has about finished sending data ;)

Statistics.
Even statisticians steer away from absolutes. In statistical reports, we offered ranges of potential occurrence rather than specifics because it was impossible to consider every single variable.

The statement is made too absolutely when there are still questions. To convince every person to vaccine will require answering their questions, not belittling them for having questions. Even then, I’m sure 100% vaccination rates won’t happen without serious repercussions.

I’m not sure how they test this hypothesis. How can they know whether a person in the hospital or dead wouldn’t have been in the hospital or dead, regardless of vaccine status?
I think the fact that 80% of eligible people in Vermont are fully vaccinated and only 20% of the hospitalized cases are fully vaccinated pretty much points to the vaccine being responsible for keeping people out of the hospital.

I don't know the percentage of vaccinated hospitalized people by vaccine to make any determination if one is more likely than another in keeping one out of the hospital.

To convince every person to vaccine will require answering their questions, not belittling them for having questions.
That would be true for those that have questions. There is a portion of the population who will never get vaccinated, they are just "against it". I agree we shouldn't belittle people with questions but it is hard to get them valid answers with all the misinformation running around. "this is true", "no it isn't"; the question and lack of certainty remain.

I think the fact that 80% of eligible people in Vermont are fully vaccinated and only 20% of the hospitalized cases are fully vaccinated pretty much points to the vaccine being responsible for keeping people out of the hospital.

I don't know the percentage of vaccinated hospitalized people by vaccine to make any determination if one is more likely than another in keeping one out of the hospital.
Correlation is not the same as causation.

Potential indicator? Maybe. But what other factors have been considered?

Plenty of arguments from both sides of the vaccination issue. Reliable sources of information are the sticking point. One person’s reliable source is another’s fake news.

Statistics ARE flawed. For example indiana has only 56.7% fully vaccinated and 12% with just a first dose. And yet only 9% infection rate. And if you look at our graph:
Capture+_2021-10-16-14-29-35.png

You can clearly see how low cases have dipped in the bell curve from last year. The peak was 2500 less than it was then. This is clearly representative of farrs law. Its not the vaccines that are doing anything. Just the natural progression of the virus. But vaccines make people feel safe. And we all know that if you feel safe...well shucks you must be! Here in indiana the majority of positive covid cases have been among the vaccinated. Why? Because they stopped taking precautions because they feel safe. Anyways I'm not a medical doctor so my statements are moot but thats how I feel about it

I'm not surprised that the number of cases in colleges is very low since most of them are requiring vaccination. ...
1% of cases are college students or faculty. What percent of the population is college students or facult?

3,000 students. Plus faculty (830 at DCCC, 214 at SUNY Delhi, 161 at Hartwick, maybe other smaller colleges?) is about 1100 faculty .. 4100 people
out of a total population of 45,000

So 100% vaccinated population has pretty close to the same percentage of cases as the total population.

https://data.nysed.gov/highered-enrollment.php?year=2020&county=12

Here in indiana the majority of positive covid cases have been among the vaccinated.
"Dixon breaks down the summer numbers like this:
  • Infections: 15-20% from vaccinated Hoosiers
  • Hospitalizations: 2-3% from vaccinated Hoosiers
  • Deaths: <1% from vaccinated Hoosiers
"
WANE link (though older, from early Aug)

And: "I want to emphasize that more than 95% of the patients being admitted to the hospital with COVID are not vaccinated. Our ICU admissions also remain concentrated in those who are unvaccinated," Box said."
WKLY link from Sept 29

About the egg allergy, I think the problem w her friend is she has so many allergies to so many things. Her doctors told her she would have to be admitted to the hospital for 48 hours of observation to be safe. The campus has to make her special meals to avoid any of the items she’s allergic to. If my kid had like 20 allergies I would not be lined up to have her get the vaccine, especially if she had to spend 2 days in the hospital for precautions.

Back
Top Bottom