Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

My boss has been sick for a while to the point I thought he had covid. His doctor required him to get a covid test before he came in to the office because one of his employees has an autoimmune disease. Turns out he had a staph infection in his throat. But covid test was negative. He gets sick all the time. Hes already had strep twice this year
His immune system must not be up to par.

Not yet, looks like he writes some good one's though.
Have read a few of his brothers books the Preston and Child books, would like to read every one of those.
I go in spurts on reading books, been awhile.
I actually was thinking of putting the phone down and digging something out beings I have no energy to do anything still. Have a bunch of books I bought and haven't got to yet.
I try to read when I can but we've been far too busy this year. I read about 3 books last year and 5 the year before that. I cant stand reading off a tablet or phone

Smallpox is frozen in at least two national labs, ours and Russia's (last I knew) because folks are afraid of a accidental or intentional release, and nobody is willing to destroy their stock. Like the whole nuclear weapons thing...
Nothing good about either.
And we dodged a big one over Ebola Reston! It was very mild in humans, not at all like other strains of that awful disease. Read 'The Hot Zone', if you haven't already.
Mary

We have a tree but they are so hard to eat.
My sister used to eat pomegranates, might still. WAY WAY WAY too much work for not much!

I really don’t understand your comment that people who choose not to vaccinate don’t care. Actually I care very much about what I put in my body.
As a generalization.

I'm sure many unvaccinated people remain very cautious but the majority of the current cases in the hospital here, higher percentage in the ICU, even higher percentage in the morgue are unvaccinated. Maybe they figured they wouldn't be the ones with the more severe cases.

Question for everyone that is getting or considering getting a booster shot - Are you sticking with the same one, or mixing and matching? I got the J&J jab the first time around, but would prefer to switch it up with Pfizer.
What I heard on NPR last week was that a second J&J increased antibodies by only 4%. Moderna or Pfizer as a J&J follow on was 90%.

The J&J one shot was listed as 66% effective against getting a moderate to severe case (though very effective against hospitalization or the morgue) whereas Moderna and Pfizer (2 shots) are 90+% effective against getting a symptomatic case and even more effective against a trip to the hospital or the morgue.

Fortunately both Pfizer and Moderna were available when I became eligible early March. Had it been J&J available with Pfizer and Moderna "coming soon" I would have waited. I see no reason at all to take a vaccine that would rate a D grade when there are A grade options. The only reason I can come up with is if there is no ability to store the mRNA vaccines at the required low temps in some remote areas.

WHYY article

I favor the early treatment route over vaxxing, though. It is more effective and far less risk.
I favor not getting sick to having to deal with it after the fact. Plenty of people never need to go to the hospital but plenty do and plenty die. The vaccines approved in the USA have shown extremely low risk.

Where and when was the last case?
The last case of natural smallpox occurred in Somalia in 1977, and the World Health Organization declared it to be eradicated in 1980.

https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/vaccine-details/smallpox-vaccine

As a generalization.

I'm sure many unvaccinated people remain very cautious but the majority of the current cases in the hospital here, higher percentage in the ICU, even higher percentage in the morgue are unvaccinated. Maybe they figured they wouldn't be the ones with the more severe cases.

What I heard on NPR last week was that a second J&J increased antibodies by only 4%. Moderna or Pfizer as a J&J follow on was 90%.

The J&J one shot was listed as 66% effective against getting a moderate to severe case (though very effective against hospitalization or the morgue) whereas Moderna and Pfizer (2 shots) are 90+% effective against getting a symptomatic case and even more effective against a trip to the hospital or the morgue.

Fortunately both Pfizer and Moderna were available when I became eligible early March. Had it been J&J available with Pfizer and Moderna "coming soon" I would have waited. I see no reason at all to take a vaccine that would rate a D grade when there are A grade options. The only reason I can come up with is if there is no ability to store the mRNA vaccines at the required low temps in some remote areas.

WHYY article

I favor not getting sick to having to deal with it after the fact. Plenty of people never need to go to the hospital but plenty do and plenty die. The vaccines approved in the USA have shown extremely low risk.

The last case of natural smallpox occurred in Somalia in 1977, and the World Health Organization declared it to be eradicated in 1980.

https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/vaccine-details/smallpox-vaccine
Thanks very much for the info!

...I'm sure many unvaccinated people remain very cautious but the majority of the current cases in the hospital here, higher percentage in the ICU, even higher percentage in the morgue are unvaccinated. Maybe they figured they wouldn't be the ones with the more severe cases.
Typical of what I find when I try to find where the statistics are coming from.... essentially, some version of *we don't keep track of how many in the hospital for covid or dead from covid are vaccinated. We do report hospitalizations and deaths of vaccinated people to the CDC as required but not the total number of coronavirus patients hospitalized for the same time period, however, so can’t calculate what share of them were vaccinated. So get vaccinated because the of the severe cases and deaths are unvaccinated.*

An example: https://www.inquirer.com/health/cor...ccinated-hesitancy-breakthrough-20210624.html

Is it true?
Go to the state website about it https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Post-Vaccination-Data.aspx
It says they know the percentage because hospitals report to them and they match names and dates to the vaccination registries. But read the whole thing... look at the technical details at the bottom. "
  • Vaccination status in the hospitalization data is not able to be verified by matching to a vaccination registry and may represent self-reporting by the patient or patient's family.
  • Patient-level case and hospitalization data from NEDSS are not currently used for the hospitalization figures in this report. As such, when vaccination status of a hospitalized patient is unknown, they are included with not fully vaccinated."

First time on this thread.
Covid has not affected my life one bit except for the establishments that require masks to enter. Then it's whether I want to enter said establishment or not. In the beginning of the plannedemic I was working in a chemical plant. I had an official piece of paper saying I was an essential worker In case of a quarantine. The quarantine never happened in our area. Not much happened in our area to prevent us from carrying on as normal so that's what I/we did. I have since retired.
About the only thing is that I started taking vitamin C, D & zinc. Glad I did as my health has improved a little and I will probably continue when this is all over.
I do believe the virus exists. I have had the scare 3 times but each time tests came up negative. Each time I doubled up on the vites and swiped some of the Ivermectin I keep for worming the goats. Went back to the same old when the tests came back neg.
Mrs. Lobo had the vax, I did not.
I had worked in a chemical plant for 46 yrs when the covid hit. I am one of the people who played with the chemicals avery day for those 46 yrs. Due to that I have developed some health probs, mostly in the respiratory area, I am 65 yrs old so I have been in the plant all of my adult life. The probs I have is a light cough which is nothing to me but others will give me a dirty look.
Any way, I have heard all sides of the covid story, from the lies and half truths that Fauci and our government has told us, to the deaths it has caused, to the conspiracy theories. A little truth in there somewhere I'm sure, People died from it but most lived through it.
As for me and Mrs. Lobo, it is life as usual.

Back
Top Bottom