Correct dewormer for geese?

So @Miss Lydia and I were talking about this and she brought up a good point - if you can mix a proper dosage into a little bit of feed and can make sure that each goose eats ALL the feed, so that they're getting the full dose, you could mix it into food and give it that way. Or if they like bread you could put a dose on a piece of bread and get them to eat it that way, etc.
I am NO EXPERT, but I worm my geese every year (I've used a tube of safeguard paste for horses the last 2 years.), and for the female, I spread the paste down the center of a leaf of lettuce. She usually is so happy to see green food that she gobbles it down no problem. The gander on the other hand...He can taste it apparently, and refuses the lettuce. :( I'd use bread, but my crazy geese don't like bread. Go figure.

So @Miss Lydia and I were talking about this and she brought up a good point - if you can mix a proper dosage into a little bit of feed and can make sure that each goose eats ALL the feed, so that they're getting the full dose, you could mix it into food and give it that way. Or if they like bread you could put a dose on a piece of bread and get them to eat it that way, etc.

This is what I do with mine. I squirt ivermectin on a few pellets and feed individually to make sure each duck or goose eats the correct dose. It's a pain. Luckily, I've only had to deworm my waterfowl twice in many, many years.

I created this post about de-worming a long time ago. I believe I got this info from Metzers or Holderread's, since those are the only two large waterfowl farms I've purchased ducks and geese from. This is what I do when I need to de-worm (rarely).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/deworming-waterfowl.1117993/

My email:
I have questions about deworming waterfowl and I seem to get a lot of mixed information when I Google it. How and with what do you deworm your ducks and geese? I've had waterfowl for years and have never dewormed them, but their feather quality this year has been looking a little rough and I've noticed some diarrhea, so I thought I'd deworm them.

Response:
We do not routinely deworm our waterfowl, but if necessary, we recommend using an oral dose of 1% injectable Ivermectin for Cattle & Swine (NOT Ivermectin + clorsulon) at the following rate: 1/10 cc per 4 pounds of bird.

I just wormed my goat’s using the bread method and it so much easier and faster and most of them don’t even taste the wormer because they are in such a hurry to eat the bread before another goat comes. It is like a treat they are used to eating every evening.

Back
Top Bottom