Correct humidity last three days.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flchickenlady, Nov 8, 2008.

1. flchickenlady

flchickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Would somebody tell me the correct humidity during the last three days of a hatch. I had my humidity at 70% the last three days and lost my entire hatch and I've been told it was too high. The first 18 days I had the humidity between 35% and 40% and turned the eggs three times a day. I used a hygrometer so I knew what the humidity was. I'm planning on setting new hatch the beginning of next week and I want to make sure I get it right. This time I'll have a forced air bator and have the temps at 99.5.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I keep mine in the 40 to 50% range first 18 days sometimes on the lower end of the scale and the last 3 days 60 to 70% range. Everyone has their range set for what works for them in their environment. If 70% was too high try going at 60 or 65%, nothing is set in stone as to what to use but these ranges are what normally work for all people that hatch.

Somewhere on here there is a link to the dry incubation method, I've never tried it but some have had good success with it, might be a good read if you still have problems with humidity.

3. flchickenlady

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Thanks, it's really sad and depressing losing a whole hatch and I'm scared to death I'll do it again.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  5. flchickenlady

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I've read that article over and over before I tried the first hatch, still didn't get it right. Now that we're adding a fan to the bator it's not considered a dry incubation anymore is it?

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Yes you can still dry incubate with a fan, The fan will just help the air flow so there are no "hot" spots in the bator !!

Do you add water day 1-18 ??

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Also the bad hatch rate could be for other reason than hum.

Were they shipped eggs ??

Did you open any of them to see what day they made it till.

How many days did you leave them in the bator ?

8. flchickenlady

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Yes I had water in the bator on days 1-18 and humidity was 30-35%. The eggs were from my chickens. The eggs made it right till the end when they started to pip, which they finally did on day 25. What did I do wrong?

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:They piped on day 25 ?? Did any of them make it out ??

Late hatches can be caused from the temp being to low or the temp dropping at night !!

In a still air bator (no fan) the temp should be more like 101-102

So 99.5 was a little low, that could of caused them to hacth late !!

Forced air should be 100.

10. flchickenlady

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    The two that pipped didn't make it out they died in the shell, I waited on the others till day 26 and nothing ever happened, I candled the eggs and they were all dead, some had been peeping the shell but died a couple of days later. I kept the temps on all the eggs at 100, 100.5.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by